It is two days until payday. You have $10 in your pocket and you have two options with what to do with it. Option one is that you can go see a movie with friends. Option two is that you can spend the money on gas and go see your grandmother who lives 50 miles away and is on her death bed. She might make it until after payday. Then again, she might not.

This situation seems a bit drastic but everyday people find themselves choosing between options like these. The choice should be obvious, but more and more people are making the wrong decisions.

Another example is when a parent will dress their children in ripped and torn hand-me-downs and then spend $30 to $40 at the fast food joint every day. It seems pretty obvious that a child should not come second to a cheeseburger, but for some this is not the case.

The problem here is that some people just have a hard time making the right choice for the important things in life. In order to make the right choice on those decisions, an important question has to be taken into consideration. What is more important? Is my dying grandmother more important than the movie that I can see next week or further on down the line when it comes out on DVD? Is my cheeseburger more important than my kid having decent clothes?

The decisions we make are very important. Granted, some people want nothing to do with their grandmother whether she is alive or dead. That would change the situation as a whole. The idea here, though, is to think about what we decide to do and think about the consequences.
So what are the consequences?

If you decide to go to the movie and your grandma dies when you are there would you not feel some remorse? Would you not feel bad for not seeing your grandma that one last time? Even further, what if the movie was terrible? The consequence here is that you can be emotionally affected by decisions.

The way to make the right decision for you is to find what values you hold to be true. Roy Disney, Director Emeritus for the Disney Board of Directors, once said, “It’s not hard to make decisions when you know what your values are.” His words show that as long as you know what is right for you, then you will make the right decision and ultimately the outcome will be in your favor.