By Morgan Givney

Erin Resa, nursing senior, uses a chart to review the stages of labor. Resa has a degree in community health from the University of Kansas.(Min Jiao/ Collegian photographer)

Family ties and personal interaction is what connected Erin Resa to the nursing program.

“I had a cousin who came here a long time ago and I looked into it and applied to a whole bunch of different schools. SC contacted me early and instructors contacted me. It was personal. They were trying to get to know me,” said Resa.

“I felt like [nursing] was my calling. I’m very prayerful. I recognize traits about myself that I connected with nursing,” said Resa.

Resa has a degree in community health from the University of Kansas. “I thought it would be a good compliment to nursing,” said Resa.

Upon hearing that the program would end, Resa wasn’t worried. “They had sent out a letter in the mail before I interviewed and during the interview they explained it a little more. I didn’t know that they had such a high reputation for the program. I wasn’t concerned [that it was ending], I thought it was cool I could say I was from the last class,” said Resa.

Being in the delivery room while a baby was born during a clinical was an exciting time for Resa during her studies. “That was amazing. I cried with my patients,” said Resa.

Resa appreciates the other students who make up the last class. “It’s interesting to hear everyone’s background stories and how we are all really different but similar because of the profession we are called to,” said Resa.

Resa aspires to be an OB manager and maybe open a nurse family partnership.

Resa has enjoyed being in Winfield while going through the nursing program. She had moved to Kansas City previously and has appreciated being closer to family while going to school. “All my family is back here so it’s been nice to be here for school and for them to see me now as an adult.”

Morgan Givney is a junior majoring in communication. You may e-mail her at morgan.givney@sckans.edu.