By Bailey VenJohn

April Middleton, education senior, prepares a sweet treat for a customer. Last year Middleton took orders for approximately 25 dozen items. (Angel Vadillo/ Collegian photographer)

Around Christmas time there are many things people get excited for. One of those things is food, especially with the variety of sweets available. April Middleton, education senior, is an expert when it comes to these sorts of baked goods.

Middleton said, “I love baking, it is actually kind of therapeutic to me.”

Middleton says she can bake anything but her favorite is pies and cookies. She bakes and sells her goods to earn extra money for presents around Christmas time and just to make some extra income.

Her kitchen in her Warren apartment is where all the baking magic happens.

Sydnee Nelson, biology senior, is Middleton’s roommate. This is her second year living with Middleton and being around all the baking.

Nelson said, “All the baking doesn’t really bother me, sometimes I just wonder how I am going to be able to make dinner.”

Middleton does all her baking by herself, which is the way she prefers it. She also likes to try out new recipes on her roommates. Nelson says Middleton has had them try some interesting things. They are kind of like a trial run.

Middleton’s baked goods are actually available all year round. It is just knowing about it. She tries to get word out around Christmas because that is a time when more people would be interested.

Michelle Adler, education professor, is one of Middleton’s usual customers. Adler says her favorite thing Middleton makes is her toffee and sugar cookies. Adler doesn’t just order from Middleton around Christmas time. She has also had her make some birthday cakes as well.

Below is a list of all the baked goods and prices of each one that Middleton makes. If you are interested in ordering anything you can send her an email at april.middleton@sckans.edu.

Pies: Pumpkin, Coconut Meringue, Chocolate Meringue, Apple, and Lemon $10 each ($12 for apple)

Quick Breads: Pumpkin, Spice, and Banana $6 per loaf

Candies: Brittle, Toffee, and Truffles $6 a dozen

Cupcakes: Chocolate, White, Fun-fetti, Fudge Marble, and Spice($7 a dozen)

Cookies: Chocolate Chip, Frosted Sugar Cookies, Brownie Crinkle, Snickerdoodle, Oatmeal, and Peanut Butter $10 a dozen

Jarred Goods: Salsa, Apple Butter

Salsa: $8 per 16oz mason jar, $7 if jar is provided

Apple Butter: $12 per 16oz mason jar, $11 is jar is provided

Bailey VenJohn is a freshman majoring in communication. You may email her at bailey.venjohn@sckans.edu.