By Inger Furholt

Graduation is a celebration of the completion of one’s studies. All of us in college did, at some point, graduate from high school and choose to go further into education. That’s how we ended up here.

While spending time on campus, faces have come and gone, memories have been made in this place and so have plenty of friendships.

It’s been four long years for those of us who are about to walk over the stage. Four years of good and bad, tears and joys, friendships and arguments, energy and sleepless nights.

College has been a time for trying new things, a time for becoming successful while also allowing failure. When looking back there are probably some things some wish they had done different, while others wouldn’t change a thing.

It’s about learning, not only in the classroom, but about life. When we came in as freshmen, it was easy to think that we knew it all. But, life lessons and trying to figure out who we are and what we want in life quickly threw us back into reality.

The life of a college student isn’t always as easy as one thinks it is. The freedom is quite fun at first, but after a while it can almost become confusing as time management can be hard to handle.

At first the schedules can seem to be great. We can pick the classes we want and what time we want to take them as long as they are offered. However, we will quickly learn that in order to get that paper in the end, students actually have stop procrastinating and face the classes we need to take instead of trying to enjoy college life 24/7.

It’s been said that you only live once and that these are your younger years, so you’re supposed to have fun before you settle down. Well there’s only one thing right about that statement, and that is that these are our younger years. But, after we walk over that stage and receive our diplomas, we’ll still be young and have plenty more young years ahead.

We don’t always get things right on the first try. College is sometimes about trying again, and asking for advice so we can make it past the next obstacle.

This is it. We’ve made it this far. Some are about to graduate and others on their way to another year of college to eventually do the same thing.

Trying to survive the last week of tests to pass and move on into another year of college or the life of adulthood and different challenges can seem overwhelming and stressful.
However, if we’ve been able to stick in it for this long, the past week shouldn’t be hard to handle.

Change will come, maybe even if it’s just for the summer this year.

Inger Furholt is a senior majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail her at inger.furholt@sckans.edu.