Pictured above: The four presenters for the enactus team at the regional competition in Atlanta pose for a group shot. From left to right: Michelle VanGieson, graduate student, Tyler Crandall, business and accounting senior, Alison Ornbaun,sophomore biology and Chelsea Broyles, biology senior. (Patrick Lee/courtesy photo)

Maggie Dunning
Assistant Online Editor

The Enactus team competed in the Atlanta, Georgia regionals on April 1st and came out as regional champions. They beat out University of Georgia and Florida State University to gain that title.

Patrick Lee, assistant accounting professor, said “The SC Enactus team has the opportunity to go to one of seven regionals held throughout the United States. Each enactus team is only allowed to attend 1 regional event.”

The next competition the team will go to is the national competition in St. Louis, Missouri in May. The competition will start on May 15 and last for four days.

During nationals, all the regional champions attending will go through three rounds of competitions to find the US National Champion who will go on to the World Cup and compete against schools throughout the world.

Enactus is completing its second year at SC in May.

Tyler Crandall, business management and accounting, senior is the team’s vice president of projects. He said the team implemented three projects this year and chose to present all three at the competitions.

“Advertising for a Sustainable Future, Movement for Social Change, and MoundBuilder Market were all presented in Atlanta because we felt that they all tied into each other very well and represented our story line,” said Crandall.

Lee said, “During the school year, the SC Enactus team produces and creates projects that meets the Enactus’ criteria of finding entrepreneurial opportunities that affects changes in the community which is sustainable in nature.

Gabby Gamez, communications senior, said the main focus is to encourage students to use entrepreneurial action to help local and global communities.

“Encouraging all avenues of classes to come together to help people in the local community and around the world to create sustainable projects through entrepreneurship,” said Gamez.

She went on to say that their projects try to be as sustainable and environmentally friendly as possible.

Crandall said, “Projects are a part of Enactus because it provides a platform for students to develop new and unique ways to better the world around them. It also gives students the opportunity to enhance their speaking skills that they can implement when they are in the business world.”

Lee went on to explain how there are three goals to competitions which help further the skills members gain doing projects.

“Collaborate – these competitions aren’t just about competing, it is about students and faculty collaborating with business professionals. We create dialogue between all three stakeholders at these competitions by way of the Top to Top Forum and the career fair. Compete – competition allows us to share insights, fuels innovation and drive global impact. In addition, competition spurs each team to become better each year because we see what other people are doing. Celebrate – Enactus celebrates diversity as well as the change each team is affecting in their community. We recognize teams, individuals, and organizations for their commitment to create a better society and a better world,” said Lee.

If students would like to be a part of Enactus, they can go to one of their meetings that are held twice a week on Monday’s and Wednesday’s in Mossman 107 and be a part of their projects.

Gamez said the team has another project on April 30 that people can come be a part of. The team needs 300 signatures to get Kline Motors from Winfield to donate $8,000 to the food bank.

Maggie Dunning is a senior majoring in communication. You may email her at margaret.dunning@sckans.edu.