The second match of the men’s and women’s tennis season was at Southwestern’s tennis courts against Emporia State University Saturday. The Lady Builders arrived to the match winning their first meet of the year against Hesston College 7-2, while the men’s team arrived being defeated 7-2.

It was a tough outing for both teams as both were torn apart 9-0.

“We played well today but were out gunned by Emporia,” said Randy Smith, head tennis coach.

The first match of the day was played by Max Manley, business administration sophomore. Manley fell 2-1 to Andrew Davids, freshman from Emporia. “I played really good this match. It is the best one I have played in the season,” said Manley. “I hope to keep playing like this.”

Jash Sapp, sophomore was defeated 4-3. Nick Morris, sophomore and Michael Bond, freshman, both finished 1-1. Chris Lollar, Emporia State freshman, defeated the Justin Smith, freshman, 1-0. Jacob Mires, business administration senior, fell 3-2 on the last single’s game.

Morris and Manley teamed up in men’s doubles and were defeated 8-2. Bond and Sapp played together against Mitch Kibbe, junior, and Matt Van Horn, senior, and stumbled 8-0. Jessie Riggs, liberal arts junior and Mires combined and trip 8-3.

The games had a final result of Emporia winning over the Builders 9-0.

“It was a really good match for use this early in the season. Our goal is to use these early matches against tough opponents to help us prepare for out KCAC start in April,” said Smith.

The women’s tennis team started with Melissa Roetzer, biology junior, falling to Nicole Jara, sophomore, by the score of 1-0. Kelsey Smith, freshman, finished 0-0 against Taylor Smith, freshman. Katie McNett, junior, was defeated by Tiffany Khounsombath, freshman, 2-0. Tyler Harrel, biology sophomore, and Sara Peck, freshman, both lost 1-0 and 2-1 respectively. Abby Gengler, freshman, ended 0-0.

For the women’s doubles, Roetzer and Harrel fell 8-1. Smith and Gengler were the closest to a win, fallin 8-4. The last match, Peck and McNett fell to Morris and Huston by 8-1.

These results made the women’s tennis team to have a record of 2-3 overall, 1-1 in Spring play. Both the men’s and women’s tennis teams will face Central Christian College Tuesday at McPherson High School.

Angel Vadillo is a freshman majoring in communication. You may e-mail him at angel.vadillo@sckans.edu.