Tony Crouch is the Southwestern College vice president for finance and the chief financial officer. He is from Alva, Okla. Crouch received his bachelor’s degree from Northwestern State University, majoring in accounting and he received his master’s degree in leadership at Southwestern College. When not at Southwestern, Crouch enjoys working on his house with his wife of 33 years. He also enjoys woodworking in his barn and keeping his miniature horses happy.  Crouch said he was drawn to working at Southwestern because of the familiarity, the schools’ purpose and he had a great experience when he attended the school himself. When asked what has been difficult while at Southwestern, especially during a pandemic, Crouch said he coordinates the COVID-19 tests for students. Although it is worth it, some days it is easy and some days it is hard. He said working in accounting is boring, but he loves when he makes a difference in a students’ life by helping them find out their financial situation and to understand it better. (Lilia Bowan-Bekemeyer/Staff reporter) (Taylor Rodriguez/Staff photographer)Becca Caughey is the assistant men’s and women’s track and field coach. Her focus will be on throwing. Caughey previously coached at Timpanogos High School and Suffolk University in Boston. She attended college at Utah Valley University in Orem, Utah, where she competed in throws. Caughey said, “Participating in collegiate athletics was such a highlight in my life. I am here coaching because I love that experience so much and I want other people to have it to.” One of the reasons that she decided to come to Southwestern is because she liked how small Southwestern is. “I think it’s a really unique atmosphere and its really student focused and a really well-rounded focused. I love that everything about the school is so inclusive. You are here and everyone wants you to be involved in everything and students have all the tools they need to succeed,” said Caughey. Outside of track, Caughey has participated in lacrosse, basketball, and Olympic weightlifting. (Emily Braudaway/Staff reporter) (Daegiona Wilson/Staff photographer)Southwestern welcomes a familiar face for the 2020-21 school year after hiring former tennis athlete Sheldon Hawthorne as an assistant tennis coach. Hawthorne graduated from Southwestern in May 2020 is back in the graduate assistant position for this year. Prior to being hired, Hawthorne was a student-athlete at Southwestern as a part of the men’s tennis team. In Sheldon’s time at Southwestern he contributed to a four-year span where the team was the best it has been, serving as team captain two of his four seasons. That streak included appearances in the KCAC playoffs every season, a No. 20 NAIA ranking in one season. Hawthorne earned All KCAC Honors in 2017 and KCAC Honors three out of his four years as a student athlete. Besides coaching tennis, Sheldon is involved in 9 LIVES, formerly a part of Student Government Association, and works with Impact Ministries at Southwestern. (RJay McCoy/Staff reporter) (Daegiona Wilson/Staff photogapher)DeAnna Bay is an affiliate faculty in psychology. She was born in Kankakee, Ill., but has lived most of her life in and came from Syracuse, N.Y. Bay’s degrees include Bachelor of Science degree in psychology and Spanish from Wagner College in Staten Island, N.Y, Master of Education degree in therapeutic recreation management/child life from Springfield College in Mass., certificate of advanced study in global health from Syracuse University, and Ph.D. in human development and family science from Syracuse University.  When asked what brought her to Kansas, she said, “My fiancé first secured a job teaching writing for Fort Hays State University, which he is currently doing online. I was initially very drawn to Southwestern College because of their unique application process. I then became increasingly interested in the position due to the tight-knit student body, emphasis on culture and tradition of the campus, and the liberal arts education.” In her free time, Bay likes to go hiking with her fiancé and her dog Scarlett, paddle boarding, and competes competitively in curling.  When asked about what she enjoys the most about Southwestern so far, Bay said, “I love the small town feel with still having so many opportunities, happenings, and events going on.” (Lex Gouyton/Staff reporter) (Taylor Rodriguez/Staff photographer)Tim Thompson is the head track and field coach. He has been coaching for ten years and has been coaching college sports for six. Although he is from Grand Prairie, TX, the transition to Kansas was not a hard one to do. Thompson has family from Kansas, so it makes it a second home to him. He also enjoys the peaceful countryside and the limited traffic. Thompson’s favorite part of coaching is the connections that he makes with his athletes. “The relationships that I make are the best part of coaching. Building relationships with the student athletes is really important in order to establish a solid team bond. I love to find out who a person is while helping them work on skills,” said Thompson. Thompson is looking forward to the moment when everything comes together and when the team realizes that all their hard work has finally paid off and got them where they need to be. (Mallory Graves/Staff reporter) (Taylor Rodriguez/Staff photographer)Jordan Bishop is the women’s basketball assistant coach. Bishop has coached women’s college basketball for five years now. She is from Colorado Springs, Colorado. “Colorado is gorgeous, the landscapes are incomparable to any other state,” said Bishop. Bishop is looking forward to new beginnings in this upcoming season. “I am excited about the opportunity to coach alongside head coach, Whitney Corley. I am inspired by coaches who can build a culture that grows when they are not around. I believe coach Corley has done that at Southwestern College." Bishop explains her favorite aspect of coaching. “I get the opportunity to serve young women who are also excellent athletes. Being able to be an influential voice and example through basketball is second to none,” said Bishop. (Mallory Graves/Staff reporter) (Daegiona Wilson/Staff photographer)John Badley is a visiting instructor. He is originally from Arkansas City, but grew up in Ponca City, Okla. He received a B.A. in English with a minor in discipleship from Southwestern College, M.Div. from Duke University Divinity School and M.A.T. in Secondary English Education from Loyola University Maryland. When asked what brought Badley to Southwestern, he said, “The global pandemic brought many things into perspective for me, so I decided to move home from Baltimore, Maryland where I had been teaching English at a private high school for the last five years.” When Badley is not in the classroom, he enjoys reading, writing poetry, cooking and coffee. Badley enjoys knitting with yarn that he hand-dyes. He stated that he enjoys the Winfield community, and that makes teaching at Southwestern a joy. When asked about any advice for students, Badley said, “Everyone’s first draft is terrible.  The great ones among us revise. And then revise again.” (Lex Gouyton/Staff reporter) (Taylor Rodriguez/Staff photographer)Dilini Fonseka is an instructor of mathematics and the director of the quantitative literacy center. She achieved her bachelor’s degree in mathematics at the University of Kelaniya, located in Sri Lanka where she is from. She then came to the U.S. with her husband where she then achieved her two master’s degrees, both in mathematics. The first one at Sam Houston University, the second at Texas Tech University. Recently, she graduated at Texas Tech University with her Ph.D. in mathematics.  When working on her degrees, Fonseka taught a lot of large and small classrooms, but she chose to work with us because of our smaller sized classrooms. Although she loves cooking and yoga in her free time, she has been very dedicated to math. Fonseka said she was inspired by her late father, who showed her “the beauty of numbers”. So, she followed in his footsteps. If she could get one thing out of her time with us, it is to use her knowledge to help someone. (Lilia Bowman-Bekemeyer/Staff reporter) (Taylor Rodriguez/Staff photographer)Tim Alaniz a Vernon, TX native is the assistant volleyball coach. He attended Midwestern State University and graduated with an associate’s and bachelor’s degree in radiology. Alaniz has seven years of colligate coaching experience. He got his start at Newman University in Wichita, where he held a position on the schools coaching staff for two consecutive seasons. He then decided to return to his alma mater Midwestern State and coach for four seasons. Through hard work and diligence, he worked his way up to the Division I level, where he held the technical coordinator position for one season. A quote that he lives by is “Coaches don’t care how much you know until they know how much you care." (Derrick Culpepper/Staff reporter) (Daegiona Wilson/Staff photographer)The faculty and staff here at Southwestern has new additions for the fall of 2020. Emily Bartee is originally from Norfolk, Virginia. Her official title here at Southwestern is the Administrative Assistant for the Athletic Department.  When asked about previous employment, she said, “My previous field was electronics repair, so this is a whole new game for me. I’m enjoying the change though.” When it comes to hobbies or free time, Bartee enjoys archery when she has time to get up to the range, and also likes to garden.  When asked what she enjoys about Southwestern the most, she said, “The people. Everyone I’ve met has been great, and I look forward to meeting more of you.”  Bartee can be found in the athletics office during the day helping to make sure any process that has to do with athletics or events runs smoothly. (Lex Gouyton/Staff reporter) (Lex Gouyton/Staff photographer)Myron Fisher is the assistant men’s basketball team, who was brought on to be a character coach. Fisher is a Southwestern alum. In his senior year, they qualified for the NAIA national tournament and won the KCAC regular season. He has great memories from his time in Winfield. “I absolutely loved my four years at Southwestern and I think there were a lot of people who helped me to do well at Southwestern,” said Fisher. He stated that he stayed in touch with the coaching staff after he graduated. “I would still check in with them and just catch up and just see how life was going.” Fisher wanted to make sure that the players in the program knew what they needed to hear. “What I am sharing with them, it is what I needed to hear when I was playing basketball in college. Not to say that what I share is what is best or what is right,” said Fisher. (Emily Braudaway/Staff reporter)