While the last day to withdraw from this semester’s spring courses is March 12, course registration for summer and fall 2010 begins a week on March 5.

This change has brought both positive and negative reactions, but many neutral responses among students and faculty.

Students can log in on Self-Service, which will be open for use throughout the rest of the spring semester into the summer, to begin to choose classes. However, some difficulties with the website have occurred. “The course schedule is up, but the catalog that describes all the classes isn’t and that’s annoying,” said Caitlin McCurdy, psychology sophomore. “I actually prefer it to be sooner so you know what’s happening next semester and you don’t have to worry about it.”

Phil Schmidt, professor of history, is in agreement. “The best students are the ones who want to sign up for classes as soon as possible, and the current students have the chance to sign up for classes before the incoming freshman,” he said. “I’m in favor of it. It’s a smart move because once students know what they’re taking, they’re more willing to show up. It’s important that we maintain our numbers.”

Linda Schulz, faculty assistant, likes the early registration idea, but has had to prepare for changes. “We have to turn in book orders for the online book service, and not all of the professors order their books early,” she said. “Sometimes they don’t know if they’re going to change their texts or anything.”

Sarah Rommelfanger, biology freshman, has her plans already laid out. “I’m not personally affected by it very much because I have a pretty rigid course plan for my major,” she said.

On the other hand, it is a different case for students that are undecided or are still testing out the waters with their majors. Jessica Kelsey, religion and philosophy studies freshman, said, “I do not have my academic plan yet, so I have to get that done. I don’t see why it has to be so early because we still have six months until classes are actually going to start.”

Online courses are also being considered in students’ schedules for next semester and over the summer. Chastity Osen, early childhood education sophomore, thinks the early registration is a good idea so students can drop classes if they need to. “A lot of higher up education classes you can take online. And I’m a big fan of that,” she said.

Scholarship Day for incoming freshman is on March 6. The freshmen that are receiving awards come to campus, and later that day they can also apply for fall courses. The classes are filled by whoever applies first, as it is a first come, first serve process. “I don’t care as long as I get to pick before the freshman. I don’t want them to take the classes I didn’t get to take as a freshman,” said Taylor Anglemyer, bio chemistry sophomore.

Current students must apply in next to no time if this is the general consensus within the student population.