By Melody Brinigar

Grab the CRT and LCD, VCR and MP3. Clocks, cameras, laptops and cables, bring in the satellite dish if you’re able. Add the mixer, blender, coffee maker and scanner, the electric tooth brush – but not the gas cylinder. Fetch the printer, copier, computer and mouse. Do what you can to clean out the house.

The Green Team, along with the city of Winfield and Grace United Methodist church is sponsoring an E-waste, electronic waste, collection event from 3 – 6 p.m. Oct. 14 at the Winfield Fairgrounds in Barn number 4.

Vintage Tech, a company promoting environmentally safe and cost-efficient means to reuse, donate, and recycle obsolete electronics will collect the items and process them for recycling.

The E-waste collection will help keep hazardous and reusable materials out of our landfills.

Kevin Neighbors, sanitation superintendent for the City of Winfield, said, “Winfield’s recycling habits are growing.

At one time, residents were required to separate the different recyclable items. Today the city uses a single stream system, where no sorting is required. All items are collected together.

Kylie Stamper, communication sophomore, is a member of the Green Team. Stamper has recognized that as awareness of recycling is increased, more people get involved.

“The word is out there and people know what it is. I think we’ll get more people to start recycling,” said Stamper.

During the first e-waste recycling event in February, more than six tons of electronic waste was kept out of landfills as participants collected 12,421 pounds of outdated, unused or non-functioning electronics.

The environment is not the only winner as a result of recycling. Last year Southwestern won the recycle mania national championship. More than 600 schools and universities competed for the coveted title and glass trophy – recycled glass that is. Each participant quantified how much recycling was collected for a 10 week period. Southwestern collected the most recycled items per capita.

Jason Speegle, director of Green Team, would like to see sustainability become more injected in the mainstream of Southwestern’s student population. “I hope students put more value on where things come from and that there’s not a limitless supply of stuff.”

Electronic items being accepted in the E-waste collection are cables, cable boxes, cash registers, cellular phones, computer peripherals and all computer parts, copiers, cords, CRT monitors, DVD players, external drives, fax machines, scanners, keyboards, laptops, LCD monitors, mouse, MP3 players, iPods, networking equipment, PDAs, printers, projectors, satellite dishes, servers, stereos, televisions, typewriters, UPS units, VCRs and video game consoles.

Household items that will be accepted are blenders (without glass), bread machines, cameras, carpet sweepers, coffee makers (without glass), clocks, curling irons, electric knives, electric toothbrushes, fans, food sealing equipment, fryers, hair cutters, hair dryers, heaters, holiday lights, irons, land line phones, massagers, metal tools (drills, screwdrivers, small saws, sanders), microwave ovens, mixers, remotes, radios, shaving equipment, toaster ovens and vacuum cleaners (without bags).

Items not accepted are ballasts, capacitors, items containing Freon (air conditioners and dehumidifiers), gas cylinders, light bulbs, liquids and items containing liquids, household batteries, lithium batteries, medical equipment, VHS cassette tapes, refrigerators, dishwashers, stoves, washers and dryers.

Vintage Tech guarantees 100 percent security on all hard drives and customer information. They are e-Stewards, R2, ISO 9001 and 14001 certified.

Melody Brinigar is an undergraduate majoring in communication. You may email her at Melody.Brinigar@sckans.edu.