By Austen Holloway

John Dupuy, chairman of the business division and professor of accounting and finance, has made a major decision to take leave from the school in order to research his field of study. “My sabbatical is dedicated to the research into the new area of accounting standards that will eventually become mandatory for public companies in the U.S.,” said Dupuy.

Such research would be good to acquire in order to educate upcoming students with the major this plays into. He wants to learn how the government is going to transition into the new international standards of accounting. Such changes have been issued by the International Accounting Standards Board (IASB) and the Securities Exchange Commission (SEC).

“The central issue is that since the world has become a global economy, it makes more sense for financial statements of corporations to be prepared using the same rules, regardless of which country they originate from.” Dupuy says many of the students will need to understand this rather quickly in order to pass tests put on by companies trying to hire. He plans to teach a course once he has finished his business leave.

Austen Holloway is a sophomore majoring in communication. You may email him at Austen.Holloway@sckans.edu.

Tracy Frederick, professor of communication, is also on sabbatical this semester. For the complete story go to http://scupdate.org/?p=8706.