Krsytal Martinez, phlebotomist, attends to Nikia Smith, theatre freshman during the blood drive Feb. 13 in Wroten Hall (Jonathan Woon/Collegian photographer).

By Alissa Sheppard

Chairs filled Wrotten Hall as a flow of students and faculty came in and out to donate blood. There were 45 people who donated, giving a total of 36 units, beating the goal that Southwestern had set of 30 units.

This was the first year that the blood drive was put on by SCANS. Jane Schlickau, professor of nursing was very excited for the event. She as 21 students and every single one of them said they wanted to participate in the event. “I have donated for years, and I know this can save somebody’s life,” said Schlickau. She recently had a family member who needed some blood, so she is happy to help in any way possible. “If I had to get blood I would want it from them,” said Schlickau.

First time donor, Mike Haynes, sports management freshman, donated blood because his girlfriend did it. Being deathly afraid of needles he was scared of what was to come. “Once the needle was in everything was ok, the process went smooth,” said Haynes. He says he likes the fact that he is able to help someone in need and he would love to do it again.

Donors give blood out of the kindness of their hearts, but for Michelle Deloney, education senior, it means more than that. She has a rare blood type so she decides to donate because she knows how hard it is for people like her to get blood. “I used to donate back home in Texas, but since it was offered here on campus I decided to participate,” said Deloney. This was about her fifth time donating and she said it was the most difficult. “They couldn’t find my vain so I they stuck me twice, and my blood was coming out slow, so a five minute process turned into a 25 minute process” said Deloney. She said she would do it again because she knows that she is helping someone.

A long time donor, Tammy McEwen, assistant professor of biology, started giving blood at age 17 when she was in high school. This was her first time donating at SC. “I am going on about four gallons,” said McEwen. She sees it as a simple service project, she says “It doesn’t hurt, it is not very time consuming, and you will make more blood.”

The Red Cross screens the blood completely so the blood is safe. For more information on donating blood, visit the Red Cross online.

Alissa Sheppard is a senior majoring in communication, you may email her at alissa.sheppard@sckans.edu.