By Bria Boykins

Known for diversity, Southwestern will be celebrating National Hispanic Month Sept. 26 – Sept. 29. Each day will be filled with a different activity to enhance the knowledge of the Hispanic culture. All students are welcome to come out and celebrate.

Students should expect a lot during this week like Piñata bashing on Monday, “Pack the Field Night” on Tuesday, Throwback Movie Night on Wednesday, and Hispanic Heritage Month Presentation on Thursday.

The person to thank for this event would be, Lai-L Clemons, director of campus life. “Hispanic heritage is American heritage. We want to inform everyone of what the Hispanic/Latinos have done in America over time, so this is just a chance for everyone to learn more,” said Clemons.

“I think we need to make the other cultures feel welcomed. We are getting a growing Hispanic community here at Southwestern and we need to make them feel welcome as well as provide opportunities for them and educate other people.”

Clemons is optimistic about this becoming a tradition at Southwestern.

“I’m hoping for this to become an annual event because diversity is very important and one way to deal with diversity and to learn about other people is to have more events like this,” said Clemons.

There will be some traditional Mexican desserts and candies in the Java Jinx for those who have a sweet tooth. Also, the cafeteria will be decorated and will be serving Hispanic food during the week to help celebrate the week.

Bria Boykins is a freshman majoring in communication. You may e-mail her at bria.boykins@sckans.edu