By Katie Vorderstrasse

Let’s face it! People will let you down at some point in your life. This could include anyone from your best friend, roommate, significant other, and even your own family members.

There are many different people in this world. As hard as it is to believe, there are millions of people who do not care about other people’s feelings. They are so self consumed in making themselves happy that they do not care.

Maybe some of us have gone through or are currently going through that stage in your life.  I went through this time when I was going through my rebellion period. I did not care about many times I let my parents down as long as I was happy. Slowly but surely I matured out of this stage. Still to this day I regret ever doing this to my parents. Now whenever I let my parents down I feel devastated.

As hard as it is to believe there are people in this world who do not mean to let others down. It just happens accidently. This could be something simple like not keeping a promise, and go as far as talking badly behind the persons back.

Talking harshly behind other people could be more intentional. It may be hard for some to resist the urge to join in on others conversations. This act can emerge into being one of the worst feelings in the world. You begin to feel disappointed in yourself when situations like this happen.

When someone does this act on us we being to question. Thoughts increase that you might not be good enough for them.

Once you begin to think that you are not good enough, take yourself out of the situation. Take time to focus on yourself, and what is truly important. Begin to take life one step at a time. You are always good enough to be treated with respect and dignity.

Let those people who betrayed you be who they want to be. As I grew older, I have realized you cannot change a person. Only the person that wants to change can change themselves.

Overtime, I’ve come to realize people are always going to let us down. It’s just a hard solid fact. The way we respond to these different circumstances determines the type of person that we truly are. In many cases this shows our true character.

Many people will ignore that they have been let down in order to get over the situation. The key to overcome these obstacles is forgiveness. Once we begin to forgive, those feelings of resentment leave. This may possibly be one of the best feelings in the world.

However, forgiveness is one of the hardest obstacles to overcome. Sometimes we put ourselves at a higher plate then the person that betrayed us.  That makes it impossible to resolve the issue. In my eyes no one is better than anyone else. We all make mistakes.

Now think about how many people have let you down so far in your life. Now determine how many times you have let someone else down. It’s hard to imagine that we may have been the one to disappoint someone. Letting others down may be one of the most disappointing feeling there is.  I’m sure they felt just the way you did whenever someone let you down.

No one on this earth is perfect. It is never too late to repair a relationship. No matter how many different people let us down, remember God never will. As long as you ask for forgiveness He will forgive, and will love you no matter what. When dealing with issues of disappointment remember if God can forgive you for your sins then why can’t you forgive someone for their mercy. Everyone deserves a second chance.

Katie Vorderstrasse is a freshman majoring in communication. You may e-mail her at katie.vorderstrasse@sckans.edu