By Jevyn Voss

Colin Baker, senior midfielder, clears the ball off the goal post during the Southwestern-Central Christian game Wednesday. Game officials granted the goal to Central Christian which went on to defeat the Builders, 2-0. (Jonathan Woon/Collegian photographer)

With six consecutive losses, the men’s soccer team played Central Christian College at home only to extend that record to a seven loss streak. The game ended, 2-0 in favor of the Tigers.

Southwestern had a record of 1-6 and Central Christian 4-3-1.  The Tigers pounced first with a score with nineteen minutes left in the first period and the Builders never answered back.

Joseph Yeisley, head coach of the men’s soccer team said, “The stat sheet did not represent the performance of their defense.”  At the end of the night there were only three shots taken by the Builders and two of those were on goal.

The Builder offense was able to get the ball down the field but was never able to take advantage of their possession and get the shot off.

Colin Baker, senior midfielder, felt that despite the loss the team moved forward.  He said, “It came to moving the ball around and exploiting opportunities like coach told us to.” He felt that they did that well and that it will carry into future games.

Austin Sacket, senior midfielder and defender, said, “We played a complete 90 minutes tonight… and we were more consistent.”  He felt that they had the drive to win but things didn’t roll their way.

The team wasn’t able to get things done and execute in the end despite getting their chances.  They also allowed two goals  against them which led to the loss.

Central Christian College got 23 shots with only eight being on goal.  The Builders ended up saving six of those.  Both shots that Southwestern put on goal were saved as well.

The Builders will hope to end their victory drought when they play Hillsdale Free Will Baptist College, Sept. 28.

Jevyn Voss is a junior majoring in communication.  You may email him at jevyn.voss@sckans.edu