By Alejandra Rojas

“Avatar” is finally knocked down by the romantic drama “Dear John” which earned 32.4 million in its first weekend to the 23.6 million “Avatar” earned in its debut. The movie was released Feb. 5.

Based on the novel written by Nicholas Sparks, “The Notebook” and “A Walk to Remember”, “Dear John” is a story of love that is put through the ultimate test in order to discover that fate truly exists.

John Tyree (Channing Tatum, “G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra” and “Fighting”) is going nowhere fast. Recently graduated from high school with no future ahead of him, Tyree joins the army in hopes of turning it into a career.

While he’s home on leave Tyree rescues Savannah Curtis’s (Amanda Seyfried, “Jennifer’s Body” and “Mamma Mia!”) purse from falling deep into the ocean’s floor. She in return awards him by inviting him to come to a party at the house she is staying in during her spring break vacation.

After hitting it off, Tyree and Curtis spend the week together. Every moment they are together is an indication that the two are perfect for one another. Tyree learned Curtis was a college girl with the dream of becoming a special education teacher and Curtis discovered Tyree used to be a trouble-maker who was raised by his father alone.

Although they appear to come from two different worlds, their bond grows. Curtis asks to meet Tyree’s father. Mr. Tyree (Richard Jenkins , “Burn After Reading” and “Step Brothers”) is a quiet man and a devoted coin collector. Tyree takes Curtis to meet his father and Curtis is intrigued by the coin collection. She becomes drawn in by the matter in which Mr. Tyree acts.

The plot changes when Curtis has to return to school. They both make a promise that no matter how far away they are from one another they will write letters to let each other know everything. So Tyree returns to duty, but while overseas he writes to Curtis and she in return writes to him. To keep track of all their letters they decide it is best to number them. After a year of writing to one another they meet again.

In the midst of celebration, Curtis discovers that Tyree has no choice but to extend his duties in the army. Tyree is at a loss. He needs Curtis to reassure him that everything will be okay and she will wait for him. She comforts him.

They return to their lives away from one another. Conflict arises when the U.S. is a victim of the terrorist attacks of September 11. Because of this, Tyree’s unit is forced to move in middle of war. They are separated once again. A test of true love is then placed on Curtis who begins to doubt her will to continue waiting for him to return.

Tyree is torn between his love for Curtis, trouble back home and the war. A complete turnaround in the end leaves him broken.

“Dear John” is a must see movie. It is recommend to anyone who enjoys romantic movies and real tearjerker.

Alejandra Rojas is a junior majoring in communication. You may e-mail her at alejandra.rojas@sckans.edu.