By Morgan Givney

Deanne Brown, nursing senior, inserts a nasogastric tube into a model during class. Brown hopes to work in an emergency room setting. (Min Jiao/Collegian photographer)

After entering the workforce with a bachelors in business from Southwestern in 2001, Deanne Brown felt a calling to leave the business world and pursue a nursing degree.

“I felt like it was God’s purpose for me. I had a really good job before this,” said Brown.

Unaware that the program was ending until she had been accepted, Brown still decided to pursue her degree through Southwestern. “I didn’t realize they weren’t continuing it until I got accepted. I figured the worst case is I would flunk a class and wouldn’t be able to repeat it, but the class is so small I could get the help if I needed it,” said Brown.

Clinical experiences helped Brown narrow her focus to what aspect of nursing interested her. She initially had no idea what her specific interest would be. She assisted delivering a baby and through those kind of experiences found out what she wanted to do.

Brown said she and her classmates got a superior education. “We probably got better with the smaller class size, lots of attention, and we didn’t have to share time with clinicals,” said Brown.

Brown’s goals include working in the Emergency Room. “Hopefully I am an ER manager and doing triage, which designates who gets seen first,” said Brown.

Morgan Givney is a junior majoring in communication. You may e-mail her at morgan.givney@sckans.edu.