By Taylor Forrest
Convergent copy editor

All across Kansas today, voters turned out to voice their opinion and cast their vote on who they think should be the next president of the United States.

Senator Ted Cruz took the Kansas GOP caucus by storm, earning 48.2 percent of the votes, with business mogul Donald J. Trump trailing far behind only earning 23.3 percent of the votes. Cruz scooped up most of the delegates earned 24. Trump took nine delegates, while Senator Marco Rubio picked up six and Governor John Kasich grabbed one.

Speaking from a rally in Idaho, Cruz made sure to mention his win in Kansas.

“Let me say, God bless Kansas, and God bless Maine. Now it’s a little bit early, we don’t know final election results yet, the votes are still being counted, but as of today, the networks have called the state of Kansas for us,” said Cruz. “And right now as they are counting the votes, we have roughly 50 percent of the votes in Kansas.”

Cruz also won Maine, while Donald Trump sealed a win in both Louisiana and Kentucky. As it now stands, Trump has 347 pledged delegates, Cruz 267, Rubio 116 and Kasich 28.

This past week candidates made appearances all across Kansas leading up to the caucus. Cruz, Rubio, Trump and Sanders all made sure to stop by the Wheat State. But they didn’t stay long, Trump immediately jetted off to Florida to prepare for the highly contested GOP election there. Florida has 99 delegates, and all candidates are gunning for those to seal the deal to the nomination. Trump even went so far as to make his audience at one of his rallies raise their right hands and pledge to vote for him when it came time.

“Go vote, wait let’s do a pledge. Who likes me in this room,” said Trump. “OK, I’ve never done this before…raise your right hand. I do solemnly swear that I, no matter how I feel, no matter what the conditions, if there are hurricanes or whatever…will vote for Donald J. Trump.”

Senator Bernie Sanders and former Secretary of state, Hillary Clinton battled it out in several states today as well. Sanders won two of the three contests on Super Saturday, picking up wins in Kansas and Nebraska.

After his win in Kansas, Sanders issued the following statement, “People used to ask, ‘What’s the matter with Kansas?’ It turns out that there’s nothing the matter with Kansas when you give people a clear choice and involve them in the democratic process.”

Clinton followed behind with a win in Louisiana. Before Saturday Clinton led in pledged delegates 610 to 411, and had a substantial margin in super delegates as well.

Although, the race to the White House is far from over. To finish up the primary election, both parties will meet at their conventions to pick their nominees to continue on in the general election. The Republican National Convention will begin on July 28, and the Democratic Convention will be set to begin on July 25.

Taylor Forrest is a sophomore majoring in communication. You may email her taylor.forrest@sckans.edu.