By Dru Pelter

The excitement roared from the crowd and team when the last ball hit the court on Wednesday as the Moundbuilders recorded the first home victory of the season. The game ended in 4 sets (25-17, 25-21, 25-22, and 25-22).

Carolina Garbato, head volleyball coach, shared her thoughts after the game. She said, “I felt good about the win, it’s good to finally get a win at home. I think the girls played well, so their hard work is paying off.” She also said, “We’ve been focusing on ourselves rather than our opponents because we felt like we needed to take care of things on our side of the net and I feel like we got that accomplished.”

Rachel Vierya, senior middle, said,  “We had a big confidence vibe tonight and we all wanted the first home win tonight so we got it done. When we previously played McPherson, it went into 5 and it was really close so we wanted to get the job done this time around.”

Vierya said, “We worked really hard on blocking and being smart with the ball, we wanted to make sure everybody hit on the positive side and they did.”

Veirya praised the crowd for the support. She said, “They wanted the win just as bad as we did. It’s been a while since we’ve had a crowd that has our back and we appreciate everybody coming out tonight.”

Chris Weathers, assistant volleyball coach, said, “It was awesome to get a home win. I’m very proud of the girls, they’ve been working hard. It’s nice to see all the season-long hard work finally pay off.”

Weathers said, “We have a few injuries on the team that we thought would set us back a little bit. But fortunately, we had players that could move around and still get the job done.” Weathers also said, “Us and McPherson are both really good defensive teams, but we were able to put the ball down a lot more than they did.”

Up next for the Builders is the 18-9 Kansas Wesleyan Coyotes next Wednesday, in Salina, at 4 p.m.

Dru Pelter is a freshman majoring in communication. You may email him at dru.pelter@sckans.edu.