By Daniel Van Sickle
Staff Reporter

On Saturday, Southwestern Cross Country had their first meet of the year at Baldwin City Golf Course which was hosted by Baker College.

Both the men and women teams placed well at the meet.  The men placed  first out of six teams, while the women placed second out of six teams.

Colton McNinch, bio-chemistry senior, won the 5K race for the men’s team with a time of 16:13.

The other top five runners for the Builders were Sam McDaniel, business senior,  who achieved a seventh place finish out of fifty-three runners with a time of 16:54, Nick Warnke, business junior, came in shortly after with a time of 16:57 and an eighth place finish. Trey Bruton, mathematics senior, with time of 17:07 and a  tenth  place finish, and Caleb Jackson right behind  coming in at twelfth place in a time of 17:09.

Together the men’s team scored 33 compared to the  second place team, Johnson County, who scored 66. Like golf, it is better to have a lower score in Cross Country.

The other women who contributed to the team score were Cassie Hollenbeck who placed  seventh out of forty-three runners with a time of 16:42, Wendee Harris who came in at a time of 16:52 and placed eleventh,  Maddie Chapin attained eighteenth place  and did it in a time of 17:46, and Rebeca Gamez with a place of twenty-four and a time of 18:24.

For the women, the first Builder runner in was Kelsey Buffum with a  fourth place finish in a time of 16:06.

Southwestern women ended with a team score of 64 and only lost to Baker University who scored 20.

Other runners for the builders were Eric Anders, business Senior, who finished thirteenth place,  Brandon Hatch (chemistry junior)- sixteenth, Christian Wacker (mathematics senior)- twenty-fifth, Keegan Gregg (physical education freshman)- twenty-eighth, David Leonard (business junior) – thirty-fourth, and  Devin Hlavenka (mathematics freshman)- thirty ninth.

Alissa Gould also competed for the Builders and finished in thirty-first place, while Cori Hunt took thirty-fourth place.

Daniel Van Sickle is a senior majoring in Business Administration. You may email him at Daniel.VanSickle@sckans.edu