By Morgan Givney

The men and women’s cross country team traveled to Oklahoma State University this weekend to compete in the 74th annual Cowboy Jamboree. The men’s team represented well and placed fourth out of 30 teams, while the women’s team earned the 17th spot.

Leading the men’s team was Colton McNinch, biology sophomore, who secured second place with a time of 25:26. With this performance, McNinch was named latest Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference Men’s Cross Country Runner of the Week.

Also placing in the top ten was Frank Adelman, biology junior, who placed sixth with a time of 25:48. With the performances from McNinch and Adelman along with the efforts of their team the men came home feeling confident about their achievements.

“We were all very happy with our performance today, It was a good step forward,” said Trey Bruton, a mathematics sophomore.

Women’s runner Briana Cathcart, biology freshman, said “(I) need to work on staying mentally tougher during workouts.” She also described the women’s team as running hard and to the best of their abilities, no matter how hard the competition is.

“We need to keep getting stronger and gain more experience and confidence,” said Jim Helmer, head cross country coach.

“We all hope to keep improving, and like coach Helmer always says, try to have our best race of the season to this point each week,” said Bruton

The Cowboy Jamboree is advertised as the “oldest consecutive cross country race in the United States”, and offers a unique course. The course is located on the OSU campus and offers many different surfaces and terrain for the runners.

Morgan Givney is a freshman with an undecided major. You may e-mail her at morgan.givney@sckans.edu.