The Cross Country team has some time to rest up and prepare for the 73rd annual Oklahoma State University Cowboy Jamboree Oct. 3.  They have an open date Sept. 19 and are looking to continue to perform at a high level. 

“We are going to work like we always do,” Zack Conroy, business senior, said. “We are going to work on building our strength and endurance up.”
Oklahoma State is currently ranked second in the nation in men’s cross country and the Jamboree is currently the oldest consecutively-run cross country meet in the nation. It is located in Stillwater, Okla. and events are scheduled to begin at 8:10 a.m. 

The team traveled to Joplin, Mo. on Saturday to compete at the Missouri Southern Stampede.  The men finished 12th  overall out of 35 teams and outperformed conference rival Kansas Wesleyan, who finished 16th. “We are doing everything right this year,” said Conroy, who finished with a 26:13.88 and earned 108th place. “We just need to continue to stay vicious and ambitious.  There is no room for error when you’re competing against teams like Kansas Wesleyan.”

Andrew Topham, biology junior, had the best time of the Southwestern contenders, finishing with a 25:10.92 and taking 42nd in the meet.  Frank Adelman, biology freshman, finished with a time of 25:30.55 and took the 61st spot. All runners but one beat their personal record in the meet.

The women’s team wrapped up 19th overall out of 41 teams. Amy Pierson, nursing junior, finished in the 17th spot with a time of 18:14.00.  Sydnee Nelson, biology freshman, followed with a time of 19:59.85 and finished 102nd. 

Erica Dunigan, communication sophomore, said, “Things have gone really well this year considering we lost a lot of top runners last year. We’ve done really good, we just need to close a few gaps in-between runners and we will be unbeatable.”

The women are shooting for their fifth straight division title this year.

Clint Dick is a freshman majoring in communication.  You may e-mail him at clinton.dick@sckans.edu.