By Daniel Van Sickle

At OSU Jamboree on Sept. 28, Builder cross country faced thick mud, heavy rain, soaked uniforms, and tough competition. “The course was significantly slower than it would have been if it had not rained before the race,” said Colton McNinch, bio-chemistry senior.

As a result of the rain and completion, both men’s and women’s places and times suffered. The men managed to achieve fourth place out of 14 teams in their 8K, putting them in the top third of their race among some top collegiate teams. The women, in their 5K, came in 11 out of 18 teams with no conference teams in the mix.

McNinch again came in first among the runners of the Builder men’s team with a fourth place finish in a time of 26:33. This race had more runners with a total of 152 and better runners then Missouri Southern, so his performance was not necessarily any weaker then last week when he got first. When asked how he did McNinch said,  “ I did alright.”

Kelsey Buffum, elementary education major, led the way for the women’s team with a twenty-fourth place finish. Of her performance, she said  that she was pretty happy to place in the top 25 though she was disappointed by her time of 20:21.

As far as the men’s  team performance, McNinch said, “I felt the team did fine. We would all agree that we are going to continue to work towards improvement for the important meets at the end of the season.”

“We beat a lot of really good teams,” said Buffum. “Our times may not have been as fast as we would have liked, but with those conditions on such a challenging course, we placed well.” She went on to say that no conference teams were at the meet and so far they have beaten every conference team in all their meets.

The Builder men who also contributed to the team score were:

• Sam McDaniel, business senior, with a twenty-ninth place finish and a time of  27:33.53
  • Trey Bruton, mathematics senior, with a thirty-ninth place finish and a time of  27:54.27
  • Nick Warnke, business junior,  with a forty-first place finish and a time of 27:59.03
  • Eric Anders, biology senior,  with a forty-seventh place finish and a time of 28:08.02

The Builder women who also contributed to the team score were:

• Cassie Hollenback, biology sophomore, with a thirty-third place finish and a time of  20:46.00
  • Wendee Harris, early childhood sophomore, with a sixty-sixth place finish and a time of  21:35.77
  • Maddie Chapin, biology senior,  with an eighty-eighth place finish and a time of 22:10.49
  • Rebeca Gamez, freshman, with place of 113 and a time of 22:55.98

The other runners for the builders were Alissa Gould, biology senior, Cori Hunt, business marketing senior, Chris Wacker, mathematics senior, Caleb Jackson, business sophomore, Brandon Hatch, chemistry junior,  David Leonard, business junior,  Keegan Greg, physical education freshman, and  Devin Hlanvenka, mathematics freshman.

For complete results of the meet, click here.

“This meet was a lot of fun for our team because we have so many traditions passed down from our alumni,” said Buffum.

Daniel Van Sickle is a senior majoring in Business Administration. You may email him at Daniel.VanSickle@sckans.edu