Christian Butler, sophomre quaterback, looks to throw downfield to DeLeon Freeman, senior wide receiver. Southwestern fell to the Coyotes 72-48. (Photo by Carly Budd/Collegian photographer)

The Southwestern football team scored over 40 points for the third time this season on Saturday, but failed to get the win as they fell to the Kansas Wesleyan Coyotes 72-48 on Senior Day. The game ended the Builders season with a record of 2-8 overall and 2-7 in the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference.

Thanks to a Cass Myers, junior running back, nine-yard touchdown run on the game’s opening drive, the Builders quickly jumped out to a 7-0 lead.

Kansas Wesleyan would go on to score 14 unanswered points before the Builders went on a 10-play, 94-yard drive capped off by a Cory Holbert, junior running back, 31-yard touchdown run to tie the game up at 14 at the end of the first quarter.

Southwestern stuck with the Coyotes, who have one of the top-ranked offenses in the KCAC, throughout the second quarter. Two 13-play drives by the Builders capped off with touchdowns helped keep the Builders in the game. With 33 seconds left in the half, Brady May, sophomore quarterback, hit Wayne Clutter, sophomore wide-receiver, for a 17-yard touchdown to make the score 35-27 Coyotes going into the locker rooms.

Kansas Wesleyan began to pull away in the second half, scoring the first 10 points before the Builders got back on the board with a 14-yard touchdown run by Myers.

Despite having one of the best offensive showing of the season, the Builders could not keep up with the Coyotes in the second half as they were outscored 27-14 from there on out.

Over 1,200 yards of total offense was gained by both teams combined, 710 by Kansas Wesleyan and 563 by Southwestern. The Coyotes gained 36 first downs on the day compared to the Builder’s 34.

Southwestern found their stride in the running game, rushing for 409 yards on 77 carries. Myers had 39 attempts for 220 and two touchdowns while Holbert added on to the ground game’s success, racking up 103 yards on 18 carries and two touchdowns. May also ran the ball well from the quarterback position, scoring twice and rushing for 70 yards off 16 carries.

Kansas Wesleyan’s Doug Webster, senior quarterback, was the key component in the Coyotes win, leading the team in both passing and rushing. Webster completed 31 of 44 passes for 466 yards and eight touchdowns. He also had 115 yards on the ground on 18 carries and one touchdown.

Defensively, in his final game as a Builder, Nathan Richter, senior linebacker, led the team in tackles with 17 total. Richter finished the season as the leading tackler in the KCAC.

Clinton Dick is a sophomore majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail him at clinton.dick@sckans.edu.