After a tough loss against Ottawa University, the Lady Builder’s soccer team traveled to Kansas Wesleyan Sunday Oct. 24 in hopes of earning a win and moving up in the KCAC rankings. Unfortunately, it would end up in another tough loss for the Builders.

“Despite what the score board showed after the game, I feel like we did well,” said Katie Bipes, senior mid-fielder. “Kansas Wesleyan is the top team in the conference, and we were right there with them for the majority of the game.”

Both teams could not have asked for a better day to play soccer. With temperatures around 80 degrees and barely any wind, the Lady Builders would stay tough through the first half against the nationally ranked Lady Coyotes. Sarah Walsh, freshman goal keeper, would only allow one goal, occurring in the last five minutes during the first half.

Morgan Constantine, senior defender, said, “First half we played really well, we held them scoreless till the last five minutes.”

It seemed that the temperatures would change, but not in the Builders favor during the second half. Only one shot on goal would be made during the last half by the Builders. Vanessa Saltos, freshman center-fielder, would take the shot. Unfortunately, it would not end in a goal. The Lady Coyotes would capitalize by scoring three more goals, which would end the game.

“Second half we made some mistakes,” said Constantine. “They would end up capitalizing on it.”

The 0-5 loss against the Coyotes would bring the Builders to 8-6 overall, and 4-3 in the KCAC standings. The Builders are ranked fourth in the KCAC rankings, only one game behind Ottawa University. Despite the loss Sunday night, the Builders are confident that they will make it to post season.

“We sent a message that we can hang with the top team in the conference,” said Bipes. “I am confident that we will be successful in our last two games and move onto post-season play.”

Oct. 26 at 5 p.m., the Lady Builders will face off against McPherson, the second ranked team in the KCAC, at home in Richard L. Jantz Stadium.

Erica Dunigan is a senior majoring in convergent journalism. You may email her at erica.dunigan@sckans.edu.