By Taylor Forrest

Hiking. Biking. Horseback riding.

These hobbies were addressed at the Cowley County Commission meeting that met at 9 a.m. Dec. 2. The meeting was called to order in the Assembly Room located in the Cowley County Courthouse.

Lucas Goff, Geographic Information System Professional, was there to represent the organization Geographic Information System, otherwise known as GIS. GIS is a national organization, but Cowley County falls under the jurisdiction of the MIS/GIS region. MIS/GIS is responsible for 28 agencies in Cowley County and must answer to the Commission.

MIS/GIS reported to the Commission on Tuesday that they were approached by several individuals that have a passion for outdoor activity to create set local paths for individuals to follow that don’t break the law. The types of paths will range from horseback riding and hiking to four wheeling.

MIS/GIS is currently working with the government for funding for this project and with the Healthy Community Coalition. While they expect help from the extension office in the spring, they are also already sending out individuals with a GPS to track these paths and upload them to their website.

Once this project is completed, there will be a QR code at each of these paths that will lead you to their website so that you may follow their legal set path.

Other important business was also dealt with at the meeting. Commissioner Gary Wilson moved to add more land to Cowley County Rural District two. The petition was passed among all three commissioners.

It was also voted on to gate a road next to the Arkansas River because it has become a dumping ground for waste that shouldn’t be there. James Perdaris, Cowley County citizen, questioned as to whether gating this road would block individuals from fishing in that area.

The Commission heard this concern and decided on a swinging gate on hinges that will allow the public to walk around in that area but refrain them from driving around in that area.

Taylor Forrest is a freshman majoring in communication. You may email her at taylor.forrest@sckans.edu