By Maggie Collett

Most students are focused on midterm exams and making it to spring break. However, students need to be thinking ahead to next semester because March 4 is the first day to register for fall courses. Students choose classes according to the four-year plan associated with their major and enroll in classes with their Self Service accounts.

“[Students] can now be seeing their advisor,” said Tami Pullins, associate vice president for advising and student success. “It pays to be prepared and to know what’s going on because you can get first shot at your classes.”

The pressure is on to enroll quickly on March 4 because 24 hours later, up to 60 incoming freshmen will be on campus for Scholarship Day. Those students will be allowed to choose classes and enroll.

“If [students] procrastinate, it really doesn’t pay at this time because some of the classes, particularly some gen. ed. classes, could get pretty full if they don’t hurry and get in ahead of time,” said Pullins.

Some students are at risk for not being able to enroll in classes. Checking Self Service can clear up any doubts. Upon logging in, a student will be greeted with a stop sign if they have been placed on the stop list. There are two main reasons that the stop is enacted.

Pullins said, “They have an unpaid balance that they haven’t worked out with the business office.”

Pullins also said the business office is helpful and willing to work with students if students take responsibility. Transfer students must also take responsibility when it comes to turning in transcripts. A transcript that has not been received by SC will also result in a stop.

“If we don’t have those, technically we can’t give you credit for classes that you’ve done because we don’t really know,” said Pullins.

If a student discovers that a stop has been put on their account, they can solve the problem by stopping by college services or the registrar’s office.

Preparation time for course selection day is best spent in an advisor’s office. Advisors are there to counsel students and recommend classes.

Phil Schmidt, professor of history, serves as anadvisor to students with an undecided major. He said, “We simply serve as expert guides through the process.”

Not only are advisors there to assist students in finding the correct classes, but also to help students become more diligent.

“We could help them learn better time management skills and become better students,” said Schmidt. “That’s the hoped-for goal; that we can help our advisees become serious students.”

Jacey Cullop, biology junior, said getting a jump start on things is the best way to get into desired classes.

“Start early,” said Cullop. “Think about it on your own first. Don’t depend on your advisor to do it all for you.”

Procrastinating rarely pays off, and the same goes for course selection.

Pullins said, “See your advisor now. Don’t wait.”

Maggie Collett is a freshman majoring in communication. You may e-mail her at margaret.collett@sckans.edu.