By Luiz Reyes
Guest column

There are many occasions or reasons why I would have a personal count down.  Of course there is a countdown for my birthday, as well as for spring break, final tests, weekends, summer vacations, Thanksgiving, and last but not least Christmas.

I consider myself to be among those folks who always seem to be counting down for the weekend even though it is still Sunday night. The reason for this is mainly because the weekend to me is like a short pause or break from all the stress that comes with school. As well as for me, this is the best thing to happen to those who work hard the entire week. It is like finding a pot of gold, nothing but sheer happiness.

Thanksgiving has always been on my count down because I see it as a time to spend quality time with family and friends. It is also a time to enjoy a splendid feast that is prepared with love by my mom and dad. I know that once this time comes it means only one thing, that Christmas is right around the corner. I use countdowns to help me get through tough times during the school year. It allows me to look forward to an extraordinary event that is filled with joy and happiness, which ultimately outweighs the terrible times during the year.

After this wonderful countdown has passed another one immediately follows, which is the countdown to Christmas. This countdown is definitely my favorite of them all because it means that I get two weeks off from school and I get to fly back home to my family. It is a joyous event that we can all agree, it is worth the wait. This countdown also means that another semester is in the books and school is that much closer to ending.

The reason why I count down for my birthday is, well because it is the day I was brought in to this world and I hold it to be the most important event in my life. As for spring break the reason I have a countdown for this occasion is because it marks the time in my school year where I can take some time off away from school work and just relax. I take this opportunity to regain all those sleep hours that had been previously lost during the semester.

The event all college kids dread is of course final exams. No one in the history of college has ever loved taking those exams, but they have to be done regardless. This is precisely why I count down for this event, merely to prepare myself for the storm. It is never a fun time in my life but I do make sure I stay on top of my game when final exam comes around.

A school year usually last around nine long and grueling months. The first few months are good you know, everything is going my way and I am just on my A game as far as class work is concern but then once it hits the four to five month marker things begin to slow down. By this time, school may seem to last an eternity. Then I begin to count down days until summer vacation. Then just like that time starts to fly away. Sure it may be a day to day thing but it still helps motivate me and is that drive that I need to finish off the year on a high note. I know that the vacation will consist of two or more months of nothing but stress free fun. This is why I count down for summer vacation.

All these countdowns have positive effects in my life. They allow me to have a better view on the days that remain until that special day, which consequently provokes me to perform at my best in all my classes. Why? Well because I see it like this, if I concentrate solely on school and my assignments rather than on the days remaining, time will simply pass me by in a blink of an eye. This is the reason why I countdown my days for.

Luiz Reyes is a freshman majoring in business administration. You may e-mail him at luiz.reyes@sckans.edu.