By Blake Carter

It’s hard to be in Christy without hearing the pounding and sawing of the Richardson construction this last week. While there is no surprise that with construction comes noise, it’s become more of a distraction than some expected.

Jessica Kelsey, philosophy & religious studies sophomore, is in work study and works in the Institutional Advancement office. She said the increasing sound coming from the room above can make work very difficult.

“The noise can be very annoying when I am at work,” Kelsey said. “When I’m at the desk we are supposed to be answering the phone and we can’t when it is really loud.”

Mark Strecker, biochemistry junior, said during the prime time of the day it can be hard to escape the noise.

“When I’m in a computer lab I usually can get away from the noise, but when it’s during the part of the day when they are working the most it’s very overwhelming.”

Roger Moon, associate professor of theatre, said reason why the noise has increased this week is because the construction is working on the new bathrooms on the main floor of Christy, where the Communication offices used to be.

“Of course it will be loud as they are tearing things apart and building all this semester,” Moon said. “This time it is going to a lot louder since they are tearing through concrete to make room for the new, larger, bathroom.”

Moon went on to say that while the noise will continue to be heard throughout the hallways, it may hit a quieter period in a couple of weeks.

“According to the schedule they still have the ceiling to take apart, which they said could take anywhere from four to five days, but once that is done the noise will be a tad bit less. It’s always noisier to take things apart then to build them. Especially when you take out metal and concrete, and replace them with wood,” Moon said.

Moon has planned a meeting this Friday to explain what is going to happening in the next couple of weeks. Also, to explain what the finished product will look like. This is so people can be informed and know what to expect next.

“I want to give interested parties information on what we have going on with this project. There is a lot to this construction that people don’t know about,” Moon said. “Hopefully this way people can know all the changes that are being made, and know there is a reason for the loud madness.”

Blake Carter is a senior majoring in communication. You may e-mail him at blake.carter@sckans.edu.

Edited by Alejandra Rojas