By William Wade

Sept. 17 marks the anniversary of the signing of the Constitution of the United States, better known as Constitution Day. The document was signed in 1787, making it 229 years old.  It is a requirement that schools receiving funding from the government celebrate this historic day, and Southwestern College plans to hold an event on Sept. 16 (a day earlier than the anniversary because Sept. 17 falls on a Saturday) for that reason. Dalene McDonald, library director, is excited to be acting as the facilitator of the event.

The Constitution Day event will take place at 11:00 in the morning on Friday in Deets Library. The college’s celebration of the anniversary will feature a talk given by Southwestern’s own Dr. Barker, assistant professor of political science. In addition to his work at SC, he was also a fellow in a Harvard program on constitutional government, a fellow at an Ohio State program on United States legal and constitutional history, the list goes on and on.

In his lecture, Barker plans to interrogate the worth and meaning of the Constitution. He also plans on looking at its continued relevance to the present day. In particular, Barker plans on looking at the document in relation to the current 2016 presidential race, hence the lecture’s title: “Do We Really Need a President?” He may even go as far as to make the ‘modest proposal’ that we don’t.

Throughout his interview, Dr. Barker worked hard to reiterate the importance of this historical anniversary. He finds it fitting for schools receiving financial aid to take the time to celebrate the Constitution and acknowledge the importance of one’s knowledge of the law.

The Constitution Day event will provide an opportunity to gain significant insight into the history of the founding of our country, as well as a unique opportunity to see where our current America stands in respect to the Constitution through the eyes of an expert. Again, the event will take place at 11:00 a.m. on Sept. 16 in Deets Library.

William Wade is a senior majoring in theater and communication. You can email him at william.wade@sckans.edu