By Benjamin Whitener

Southwestern College Concert Band will perform Oct. 4 at 3 p.m. The concert will take place in Richardson auditorium. This is the first performance for the ensemble for the 2009 season.

The band will be performing an array of American themed pieces. These pieces include the Henry Fillmore piece, “Americans We” and John Williams’ “Hymn to the Fallen” from the motion picture “Saving Private Ryan.” The Winfield High School A Cappella Choir will join the band for a special rendition of the “Star Spangled Banner” as well as perform with the band on “Hymn to the Fallen.” Clayton Crawford will speak while the band performs Aaron Copland’s “Lincoln Portrait.” The piece will feature readings from many of Abraham Lincoln’s famous documents including the Gettysburg Address and several annual messages to Congress.

More than 50 students, community members and Southwestern professors make up the band. Melissa Williamson, assistant director of campus life, is a flute player and she said that the band is really coming along.

Daniel Stevens, assistant director of strings, is the conductor. Stevens said, “They’re all really great musicians.”

Many of the band members are not music majors. Derreck Carter, biology freshman, said that even though he is majoring in something other than music, he has time for at least a little music. Carter was in concert band in high school and said he really loves music so he chose to continue playing music while in college.

Admission to the concert is $5 at the door, but Southwestern students get in free with their student identification card. Tickets can also be ordered in advance by calling 620-221-7720 or sending an e-mail inquiry to tickets@sckans.edu.

For more information about the Southwestern College Concert Band visit www.sckans.edu/sks-band. A schedule of upcoming events as well as a list of band members and concert band related links is available there.

Benjamin Whitener is a junior majoring in digital art. You may e-mail him at benjamin.whitener@sckans.edu.