Carly Budd/Photo illustrator and Samantha Gillis/Photo illustrator

By Maggie Collett

A simple online survey is all that students are given to be matched with their roommate. This survey can be one of the most important parts of the application process. Not everyone is matched with the perfect roommate the first time.
The process of changing roommates as a freshman can be a long process. Sarah Hallinan, director of residence life, said the first thing they tell the roommates is to try and work it out. 

“If it’s something that you can’t work out between the two of you then talk to an RA,” said Hallinan. The RA will often refer to the roommate contract that each person agreed to. “They’ll see if you’re willing to try and work it out from there,” said Hallinan. 

If at that point things still can’t be resolved, the roommates meet with the resident director of the hall.
“They’ll let you know your options for possibly changing rooms,” said Hallinan. “A lot of times we try and ask students, ‘Can you make it to semester?’” 

For some students, making it to semester isn’t realistic. 

Jessica Kurth, psychology freshman, said she and her roommate just weren’t compatible. “We didn’t agree on everything, and we had different friends,” said Kurth. 

After trying to make things work with her roommate, it became clear that the two couldn’t see eye to eye. “We didn’t have much in common,” said Kurth, “But we tried to talk it out and put aside our differences.” Kurth discovered she wasn’t the only one not getting along with her roommate. 

Lauren Marshall, communication freshman, said she and her roommate didn’t get along. “We didn’t say ‘hello.’ We didn’t say ‘goodbye.’ We didn’t talk,” said Marshall. 

Marshall and Kurth both decided that the best option was to move out of their rooms. The two agreed to be roommates and are currently sharing a dorm room in Cole Hall. The arrangement seems to be working out well. 

“Lauren is my best friend in the whole world,” said Kurth. “We get along so great. We do everything for each other.” Marshall, sporting a broken arm, said, “She takes care of me when I’m crippled.” 

Maggie Collett is a freshman majoring in communication. You may e-mail her at margaret.collett@sckans.edu.