By Will Rosson

The Community Music School will be offering ballroom dance classes beginning Wednesday Nov. 16.

Hannah Northerns, administrator of the Community Music School, thinks this is a great opportunity. “It’s going to be a really fun class, and it’s not requiring a lot of commitment,” said Northerns.

The class will be taught by Jenny Blackburn. Blackburn’s experience is extensive, including both theatre and dance.

“I started dancing in college, where I took a ballroom dance class. I was immediately interested in it,” said Blackburn.

She interned at a dance studio in Wichita for six months, and then began teaching dance. She now teaches dance at Friends University.

“It’s actually the same class that I began with when I was a student, but now I’m teaching it,” said Blackburn. She hopes to see people try the class as it is the first time a dance class has been offered at the Community Music School.

Cody Davis, music education and theater senior, also thinks that people should try out the class as well. Davis is an experienced tap and swing dancer.

“I definitely think everyone should try it at least once. I think it’s a wonderful outlet and such a rush,” said Davis.

The classes will be offered Wednesday nights, Nov.16 and 30, and Dec. 7 and 14. The adult classes will be from 6-7 p.m. while the high school classes will be from 7-8 p.m. They will be taught in the High School choral room. For individuals the registration fee is $28, while a couple’s registration fee is $50.

The class will be dancing to classic Christmas songs.

“You don’t need any experience. We will be starting from scratch and learning basic of stuff like foxtrot and swing,” said Blackburn.

“It would make a great Christmas present for someone,” said Northerns.

Will Rosson is a senior majoring in communication. You may e-mail him at will.rosson@sckans.edu.