By Erin Morris

Anyone who truly knows me will tell you that I love music and coffee. Not only that, I love coffee shops, especially when they combine my tastes perfectly. So, I would like to introduce you to Mead’s Corner, a small coffee shop in east Wichita that not only combines coffee and music, but adds creamy gelato into the mix.

Don’t be fooled, Mead’s Corner is located at the corner of Douglas and Emporia, not on Mead Street, which is a few blocks east. It’s a rather long building with two entrances. The main entrance off of Douglas brings you right into the restaurant. The counter is directly ahead and the enticing scents of coffee and friendship make you almost melt into the scene.

There are probably a few college students with books or laptops lounging around. And if you’ve come on a Friday night, which is my favorite time to go, you’ll hear live music from the back half of the building. A small stage is set up in the very back and about 20 chairs make up the audience’s seating. Everyone else sits at side tables or stands in back.

But before I get too far into the music, I need to order myself some coffee. The prices are fairly typical for a coffee shop. Small, simple drinks will cost around $2 while large specialty drinks can cost up to $5. Mead’s Corner also offers a small menu of salads and wraps as well as a breakfast menu.

I usually go for a chai latte or mocha. Once the drink is warming my hands, I return to the back half and to the music. Most of the artists you hear aren’t professional, but are nonetheless extremely talented. Soon I’m tapping my foot or swaying to a slow acoustic piece.

At this rate, I’m sure you’re wondering how this picture could possibly get any better, but I have news for you. It does. Mead’s Corner isn’t your average coffeehouse. After paying a visit to their website, you quickly discover that there’s a deeper mission Mead’s Corner is working toward. Owned by the First United Methodist Church, Mead’s mission is to “be a place where people of all walks of life can spend time together over coffee, lunch, a latte, a dessert, or conversation, in a place that demonstrates love for others, a passion for mission to people in need, and an environment rich in arts and live music.” It’s almost poetry, isn’t it?

The coffee and music have been covered in detail, but now I’m sure you’re wondering about the ‘missions’ part of the statement. Mead’s Corner donates profits above operating costs to ministries that help people in need. These ministries serve those in the Wichita area and across the world.

If that’s not a good enough reason to buy a cup of joe, I don’t know what is.

Erin Morris is a sophomore majoring in professional communication. You may email her at erin.morris@sckans.edu.