By Emily Braudaway

Some schools test asymptomatic students and some schools only test if there are symptoms. This is extremely important if someone from another school is asymptomatic.

If someone is asymptomatic, that means that they are walking around spreading a potentially deadly virus without them knowing, so staying on top of the virus is the best way to beat it.

Lock Schnelle, head athletic trainer, said, “We are testing teams in general just to keep them as safe as possible.”

Dan Falk, dean of students, said “The President wants to make it as safe of a campus as much as possible. And we want to try to stay on top of the virus.”

Schnelle said that testing is done every week for the teams in-season and playing other teams. Off-season sports get tested a few times throughout the semester.

Falk said that a majority of the students at the beginning of the semester were asymptomatic.

Melinda Current, clinical education coordinator, said “The countries that did asymptomatic testing at the beginning of the pandemic were South Korea and New Zealand. There is a lot of people who were asymptomatic that were positive after they did contract tracing and those people quarantined. Their numbers went down to very close to zero.”

Which further proves that the U.S. should have done this from the beginning and we probably would not have been in this position.

Tony Crouch, chief financial officer, said that the tests are approximately $240,000 so far this semester.

However, the college did not end up paying all of that.

At the beginning, it was individual students’ insurances that covered the cost, and SC only had to pay for 66 tests.

They then switched to doing our own test and the first two groups of it were covered by the Cowley Cares, which comes from the Cares Act that allocates money to the counties in Kansas.

After that got $180,000 of tests paid through the second round and they paid for the nurses through Dec. 31

Kansas Independent College Association negotiated with the Kansas Department of Health and Environment for allocated funds and then those will get reallocated to the members of KICA, which that money will come later.