By Hanna House

Every teenager thinks about food, that’s how they are wired. When you don’t get to eat for a while or are served a less than satisfying meal, it could change the outcome of your mood for the rest of the day. Have you noticed a lot of grumpy people around campus lately?

Sodexo, the food provider here, has been slacking on the job by all student’s standards.

“A lot of the time I just look at the food they have set out and then go to the salad bar because, to be honest, I don’t trust it,” said Kodie Hufford, computer science freshman.

Dan Falk, dean of students, has been working with a company called Fresh Ideas to get a new contract signed for the 2015-2016 school year.

“They are based out of Columbia, MO. They are a small company and only have like twelve or thirteen accounts in the country, mostly small colleges,” said Falk.

Falk said Sodexo is a bigger corporation that has proven to be inflexible with certain needs like allergies. Fresh Ideas however is a small business that only caters to about a dozen smaller private schools.

Although the food has been varying between good and bad, the bad days have become more frequent.

“The food is bad and its been bad. We have tried to get them to improve over the last two or three years,” said Falk. “We even asked them to change their food manager and they did that but we still haven’t seen the improvement.”

Fresh Ideas is not only expected to bring in new varieties of food and better quality, but also a new uplift to the way the cafeteria looks.

“They are going to make it visually better by creating a new food platform. The cafeteria is going to look a little different with what we call ‘destinations,’” said Falk.

Falk said the idea of new destinations in the café is to spread out so people aren’t always waiting in line for their food and to spread the staff out to serve the students.

Fresh Ideas will require all its employees to pass a background and drug test but Falk says they are wanting to rehire all the employees already working in the cafeteria as long as all the requirements are met.

All of the plans Fresh Ideas have provided Southwestern with are still in the processing stage and no official contracts have been signed.

Hanna House is a sophomore majoring in communication. You may email her at hanna.house@sckans.edu.