Late last night students received an email alerting them that a clown had been spotted on campus at around 11:14 a.m.

The clown-sighting was reported to security, who then in turn contacted the Winfield Police Department. This urged the WPD to search for the campus clown, but the clown was not apprehended. The email press release said, “The Police Department does not think it is a student and feels like they know who it is.”

Several Southwestern students took to social media about seeing the clown or about being frightened of this recent event. The campus clown is said to have been a man wearing a clown mask and a trench coat.

Another clown was spotted on campus wearing a clown mask and black clothes around 11 p.m., according to Tuesday’s JinxTale.

This comes after clowns have been spotted across the country, inciting a social media frenzy and nation-wide fear of these sightings.

Southwestern is not the only Kansas town that has endured these “creepy clowns.” According to KWCH, a juvenile in Wichita was arrested yesterday for reportedly making creepy clown threats through social media.

Dan Falk, dean of students, urged in his email that students should not chase or attack the clown because he could potentially be dangerous. He also said that if students see him again this evening they should call 911 immediately.

Taylor Forrest is senior majoring in communication. You may email her at taylor.forrest@sckans.edu.