Following the unexpected turn of events in the election last night, leadership on both sides of the aisle reached out to Trump Wednesday morning with offers of congratulations and support.

Long-time dissenter and former primary opponent of the hotel-mogul, former governor Jeb Bush, reached out in a tweet that said, “Congratulations on your victory. As our President, Columba and I will pray for you in the days and months to come.

President Obama also reached out to the president-elect in hopes of a smooth transition between administrations.

But Americans sat with bated breath to hear what Hillary Clinton had to say about the results last night after a devastating loss in which it was predicted all along that she would be the one swearing in on the steps of the Capitol in January.

After cancelling an appearance last evening, Clinton addressed the millions of Americans that had voted for her, thanked her tireless campaign workers and graciously conceded the presidency to Donald Trump, “Last night I congratulated Donald Trump and offered to work with him on behalf of our country. I hope that he will be a successful president for all Americans. This is not the outcome we wanted or we worked so hard for, and I’m sorry we did not win this election for the values we share and the vision we hold for our country.”

Clinton finished up the concession speech by acknowledging that whilst she was not the woman to break the “highest glass ceiling,” much to millions of Americans surprise, that the dream of doing so is still very much alive, “Now, I know we have still not shattered that highest and hardest glass ceiling, but someday someone will — and hopefully sooner than we might think right now. And to all of the little girls who are watching this, never doubt that you are valuable and powerful and deserving of every chance and opportunity in the world to pursue and achieve your own dreams.”

Although, Clinton was not the only one to make a major speech in the past 24 hours, as Donald Trump himself made a victory speech in which he established a more united front and imported a theme of achievable dreams and economic growth for the nation.

Taylor Forrest is a senior majoring in communication. You may email her at taylor.forrest@sckans.edu. 

photo credit: By Jewel Samad/AFP/Getty Images.