By Hannah Watkins

At 11:55 p.m. on Oct. 31, many students will log onto their laptops. These students won’t be checking out an internet game or Facebook. They’ll be logging onto their Self-Service accounts to ensure their first choice of classes for next semester will be given attention as soon as possible on Nov. 1.

Many upperclassmen have discovered the importance of getting what you want early.Bobby Weidner, marketing junior, found this out first hand as a freshman. “My first year here, I didn’t really pay attention that I was supposed to get my own classes,” said Weidner, “So I just didn’t get anything I really wanted. It was terrible. I’ve definitely learned to get online as soon as I can to get the classes I need and want to be in.”

Underclassmen have learned the trick to getting in the classes they want too. Matthew Mehl, criminal justice freshman, said, “First I’m going to talk to my advisor, and then I will be staying up until midnight the night before so I can be one of the first ones to finish my schedule.”

Many students are also unsure of what classes to take. Natalie Eldridge, business freshman, is uncertain about her class decisions, but is attempting to find classes that will keep her entertained and help her graduate. “I’m just going to talk to my advisor and look online at the Self-Service academic plan. I think both of these will steer me in the right direction.”

The academic plans on the Self-Service website are tools to help guide students in their class choices. This website also shows what classes have been completed, are in the process of being completed and which ones have yet to be completed.

Not only are students trying to get into the classes they want, many are also making sure to keep up on their financial obligations. If a student hasn’t made payments, or is behind in payments, they will receive a stop on their account.

Nikki Thiel, student accounts and enrollment representative, said a stop is “A financial obligation that will prevent you from viewing anything on your Self-Service account. You can’t look at your grades, and you can’t register for classes either.”

However, a student is easily able to fix a stop by coming into Thiel’s office and making a payment to get caught up. “The students who are behind in payments are the ones who won’t be able to enroll in anything,” said Thiel.

On Self-Service, students can set their profile to be open to parents.

Bobby Smith, systems analyst/programmer, said, “If a student opens their Self-Service profile, the student is then able to invite their parents to look at their academics.”

Hannah Watkins is a freshman majoring in communication. You may e-mail her at hannah.watkins@sckans.edu.