By Paige Carswell

The question isn’t whether or not Hosni Muburak is wrong, or should step down. The Egyptian youth who are protesting have never even had another ruler. They’ve lived under oppression for their whole lives, so it’s no surprise that even when the president said he wouldn’t run for re-election (after a week of protests), it wasn’t enough. His country revolted.

Muburak is famous for being the bully in the lunchroom. Rather than ask nicely, or think of anyone else, he’ll just punch the smaller kid in the face.

But, it seems as if this time, he’s facing a much bigger opponent, and the more he waits, the worse it’s bound to get.

However, how much could the United States really help in this situation? During the Pew Global Attiudes project in 2010, America was reported to have a 17-percent approval rating in Egypt. That means they are in a tie for viewing America more negatively than any other country in the world.

Perhaps there is a coincidental link between Obama’s famous speech he made in Egypt a year ago, but that doesn’t seem to be helping anyone’s view of the good ol’ U.S. of A.

So, what will happen?

Perhaps the bully will finally step down, which is fortunate for Egypt, but perhaps less fortunate for the U.S., since the group that is going to fill in his shoes is bound to be incredibly anti-American, and maybe even not as nice as Muburak. The second-biggest bully takes the cake, before turning around and smearing it in the face of anyone else who wants it.

It’s the cafeteria way.

Paige Carswell is a senior majoring in journalism. You may e-mail her at paige.carswell@sckans.edu.