The holiday season is upon us, and despite classes winding down with finals right around the corner, Christmas cheer can be found all over campus.

Student Foundation is in charge of all the events for SC Christmas. One of the events to kick off the 12 day celebration is the annual lighting of the trees ceremony. The lighting of the Christmas trees, along with other festivities, will be at 6 p.m. Friday in Deets Library.

Twelve different organizations including Leadership, Beta Beta Beta, Phi Delta Theta, Cross Country and Pi Gamma Mu will be decorating trees that will be on display at the bottom of Keyhole Drive through Christmas break.

The tradition of the tree lighting ceremony started Dec. 9, 2005 when the director of campus life at the time presented the idea. It has continued every year.

Brandon Hessing, coordinator of StuFu, said, “I think it’s a great tradition because everyone can celebrate while still at school.”

The event will have several speakers including President Merriman, Jeremiah Roberts and jolly ole’ St. Nick himself.

What would tree decorating be without caroling, hot chocolate and festive snacks? The event will have all of the holiday essentials.

Morgan Constantine, StuFu president, said, “We have been working on this event for about a month. I think it will really make the campus pretty and festive.”

Whether snow, rain or shine this event will take place. All students are encouraged to attend for some celebrating. “We usually have a pretty big turnout for the event, around 50 students,” Hessing said.

The winning organization of the tree decorating competition will be announced on Friday after the trees are lit.

The holiday season is meant to be spent with loved ones and family, at Southwestern it is no different.

Kevin Rodgers, vice-president of activities and educational activity, said, “My favorite part about the holidays is being able to spend time with family and enjoying the company of relatives you might not always see.”

“My favorite thing is baking cookies with my mom and decorating the house,” Constantine said.

Alyssa Richardson is a freshman majoring in communication. You may e-mail her at alyssa.richardson@sckans.edu.