By Thomas Noble

Two Christmas concerts will be performed in the coming weeks. The SC Singers, South Kansas Symphony, and the A Cappella Choir will collaborate for the “Candlelight Christmas Concert” on Dec. 2. The following weekend, the music and theatre departments will present “Builder Broadway”.

Candlelight Christmas Concert                              

The “Candlelight Christmas Concert” will take place at 3 p.m. on Dec. 2 in the Richardson Performing Arts Center. Admission is free.

David Gardner, associate professor of music, and Daniel Stevens, associate professor of strings music, will conduct the concert featuring The SC Singers, South Kansas Symphony, and the A Cappella Choir.

The concert will feature several classic and modern Christmas songs.

The show will start with The SC Singers and the A Cappella Choir, conducted by Gardner.

After the vocal performances, Stevens will conduct the South Kansas Symphony.

“The orchestra will feature a balance of traditional favorite Christmas songs along with a couple of unique works,” said Stevens.

After the symphony performs, all three groups will come together for the final songs of the concert, including five selections from Handel’s “Messiah.”

Gardner said, “It is arguably one of greatest works in the English language. This is the first time since I have been here that we have done this much of it.”

Builder Broadway

An ensemble of music and theatre students lead by Matt Berthot, music graduate, will host a performance of “Builder Broadway” at 7:30 p.m. on Dec. 8 in the Richardson Performing Arts Center.

The ensemble performed several numbers from popular musicals last spring. This month’s performance will consist of several classic Christmas songs like, “Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer” and “Silent Night.” The songs have been selected by the ensemble members. The show will close with a preview of this springs “Builder Broadway” in the form of “The Gods Love Nubia” from Aida.

Berthot said, “The students will learn about themselves and how to tell the story of the song, also how to work together in an ensemble.”

Roger Moon, associate professor of theatre and speech, will help students with acting and staging the numbers.

Moon said, “My favorite thing is watching the students develop their musical theatre talents and watching the joy it brings the audience.”

Thomas Noble is a freshman majoring in communication. You may email him at Thomas.Noble@sckans.edu.