Elizabeth Hill, elementary education junior, Katie McComb, music freshman, Sarah Frazier, theatre senior, Samantha Mitchell, theatre sophomore, Budi Taniwan, music senior, Brett Smith, philosophy & religious studies senior, Cody Davis, theatre senior, and Jeremiah Roberts, music education sophomore, all members of SC Singers, practice yesterdaytheir repertoire for the Christmas Concert. The concert will be at 3 p.m. Sunday in Richardson Auditorium. Joining the SC Singers will be the South Kansas Symphony, the A Capella Choir and Musica Children's Choir. The orchestra and choirs will combine for some of the songs. The jazz combo will perform floowing the concert in the lobby of Christy Hall. This will be the final concert of the year. (Alejandra Rojas/photographer)

By Paige Carswell

Nick Hoffmeister doesn’t get nervous when he plays in front of people anymore. In fact, the sophomore drummer for the SC Jazz Combo enjoys Christmas time because it creates a demand for music.

“Playing Christmas music is fun also because everybody knows the songs,” said Hofmeister. “If you’re going to hold the audience’s attention, you have to be creative as a musician. You have to change some element of the song to make people think, ‘Hey. This is different from what I’m used to.’”

Hofmeister will get an opportunity to do just that when he joins the jazz combo after the Candle Concert Sunday. The concert is at 3 p.m. in Richardson Auditorium, and will feature the South Kansas Symphony, A Cappella Choir and SC Singers.

The jazz combo will be performing in the lobby after the concert.

“People can talk and listen to the music while enjoying refreshments,” said David Gardner, assistant professor of music and director of choirs.

The concert will last approximately one hour, Gardner said, with the orchestra performing around half an hour and the choirs using the other half hour.

The SC Singers will join the orchestra in the song “What Sweeter Music.”

Budi Taniwan, music senior, will be conducting the song “Awake, Arise and Hail the Morn,” an early-American style song that requires singers to adapt a harsher tone.

The concert will end with “Silent Night.”

The concert is free to the public.

Paige Carswell is a junior majoring in journalism. You may e-mail her at paige.carswell@sckans.edu.