By Morgan Givney

Chris Norris, nursing senior, draws medication into a syringe. Norris is considering post-graduate education.(Min Jiao/Collegian photographer)

After earning a biology degree in 2007, Chris Norris returned to Southwestern to pursue a nursing degree.

“I’ve always wanted to be in health care. I thought it was medicine, then was unsure for like a year or two after I graduated with a biology degree. Nursing seemed to stick out the most, I clicked with it. There is a lot of patient interaction, a lot of everything. My mom’s a nurse so I kind of had an idea of what it entailed,” said Norris.

Knowing the program was ending, Norris still wanted to earn his second degree from Southwestern. “It was a good program. I’ve had friends that went through the program and liked it and had an easy time getting a job, I liked the professors, and I liked the feeling when I interviewed,” said Norris.

The size of the nursing class has slowly dwindled from eight students to six. Norris believes his education has not been inferior to that of previous nursing graduates. “They had emphasized they aren’t going to give us a poorer education because we are the last class. It’s been a lot more hands-on,” said Norris.

Norris encountered a unique event during one of his clinicals. “We had a guy that inhaled his cottage cheese instead of swallowing it, and it was a lot. He ended up coughing most of it up but the respiratory therapist had to assess him. It was really intense for a minute or two. It felt like a couple days, but you always remember because it was so intense and your adrenaline skyrockets,” said Norris.

In 10 years, Norris predicts where he would like to work. “I don’t know, I would probably be in ICU.” Norris is considering post-graduate education for advanced practical registered nurse or certified registered nurse anesthetist. “I’d enjoy ICU but I don’t want to stay forever,” said Norris.

Morgan Givney is a junior majoring in communication. You may e-mail her at morgan.givney@sckans.edu.