Min Jiao

Designed to impart a basic knowledge of Chinese language. The class will emphasize the relationship among the skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing in Chinese Mandarin. Students will also gain insight into the culture of China and Chinese-speaking cultures, and the interrelationship of language and society as it shapes the culture.

Xiaochen Hua, adjunct faculty, is the instructor for this class, said, “When it comes to language class, I teach only the essentials and ensure plenty of practice. I am very patient to teach speaking and tell some jokes to create a relaxing ambience.”

David Hofmeister, director of teacher education, proposed that Hua teach Chinese Language and Culture beginning spring semester 2012.

Hua majored in Chinese pedagogy in Huangshan University and earned a master is master’s degree in education from Southwestern College. He said “These experiences help me to present through an American approach to teaching.”

“In terms of language teaching, I prefer to encourage learners than criticize them. In terms of Chinese culture, I tend to keep a neutral and comprehensive view,” said Hua.

Leslie Pasarell, undecided freshman, said, “I like to learn new things. New languages seemed interesting especially Chinese. However, I am surprised how long and hard the Chinese characters are and how to write them.”

Taylor Fogle, biology sophomore, said, “I’m interested in Chinese culture because it is so different my mine.”

“The language is more complicated than I thought it was going to be, especially with the different tones and things like that,” said Fogle.

Chinese culture lectures can be seen as a coordinate which has four quadrants: Traditional China, Modern China, Behavior Culture, and Language Culture.
Hua said, “I hope students will understand China past is that can help them understand Asian people’s characteristics.”

Hua said to understand modern China can prevent misunderstandings during cross-culture communication and establish trust between Americans and Chinese.
“Typically, Chinese behavior culture is interesting such as martial art, calligraphy, and making Chinese cuisine. I’m also going to teach special classes like calligraphy.” said Hua.

Hua said, “Language culture reveals logical principles of Chinese language construction and makes a second language more sense.”

Pasarell said, “I hope to learn anything about Chinese culture, I don’t speak very well but I’m trying to learn.”

“I like learning about other places, other cultures and other people. I view other cultures as very interesting, so I guess that is a good thing.” said Pasarell.

Hua said, “I will keep on studying cross-culture communication and second language acquisition.”

LANG 151 Chinese Language and Culture will be offered in the Fall 2013 semester from 9 to 9:50 a.m. Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

Min Jiao is a junior majoring in communication. You may e-mail her min.jiao@sckans.edu.

Xiaochen Hua, adjunct faculty, is the instructor for Chinese Language and Culture explains how to make calligraphy at Darbeth Fine Arts 207.