By Alissa Sheppard

Inspired by the early books of the bible, “Children of Eden” will be presented to Southwestern April 12-15, along with dinner.

This musical is about creativity and what it means to be a parent.  “As a parent we have created a life which we love and give to the world,” said Roger Moon, assistant professor of theatre. He said the audience can expect the joy of a story and the emotional journey of the characters and grown and understand their own responsibilities of children of God. It has a trail of disappointment that trickles down from God to his creations, and how they disobey, which shows a long line of parents disappointment in their children because they disobey.

The selection of this show was a complicated process. Each year the theatre department sets goals for the up and coming year, and performing “Children of Eden” would meet a number of the goals that were set for the year. “this is not one of the productions that was chosen because we wanted to do it, it has been an interest by many of the theatre students and they are very interested in and doing a lot of the hands on work” said Allyson Moon, director of Children of Eden. She feels that this is a good production to put on this time of year. “Thematically because it is a show about hope for a new world and hope for the future, it seems to match up with a lot of the emotions we have for spring time,” said Allyson, and she feels this production will have a little something for everybody.

The students have worked extra hard on this production, but there is one special reason why. Paul Prece from Washburn will be coming to view this musical. He will come and watch the production and give feed-back. “He will provide us with another perspective to let us know what is working and what isnot working as well,” said Allyson. She said that they are always so focused on what they are doing that they don’t get a chance to learn from outside world theatre. “This opportunity will give us a chance to grow,” she said.

This opportunity was given to them with the help of SGA. Campus players were allotted a little more money so they have more to spend, and with that they chose to have a judge come. Jessie Riggs, SGA treasurer said he thinks this is always a good idea for improvements.

Many of the students in this particular production say that it is one of the toughest. “We are working really hard,” said Christian Pressley, music sophomore. He is playing several roles, but his main role is of Able. Practicing five days out of the week may seem exhausting, but Pressley said “practice makes perfect.” This is the fourth production he has been in total and says that it is the hardest one so far because the music and choreography is very challenging.

He is happy to have someone coming to view the show and respond to it. “We push ourselves to do our best, and I hope that it pays off,” said Pressley. He says that they have a little ways to go with the production and they are still fine tuning everything, but he thinks the audience will love it. Pressley said “come ready to see a lot of up close action and to have a great time.”

Alissa Sheppard is a senior majoring in communication. You may email  her at alissa.sheppard@sckans.edu.