By Maggie Dunning

It has been confirmed by the president that on Aug. 21 Syrian President Bashar al-Assad attacked his own citizens using chemical weapons.

With the president having to decide what to do with Syria I am left with one question.

Why does it matter that Syria’s president Bashar al-Assad used chemical weapons against his citizens?

The conflict has been going on for three years now. Syrian citizens have been dying during that time.

Why is it that America can get so upset over citizens being killed using chemical weapons but turn a blind eye when they die from other weapons?

I realize that we might be a little bit more sensitive about the issue considering the Holocaust, but when citizens have been dying for years and we haven’t even bat an eye I find it quiet difficult to see the logic of our upset.

I think that the death of all the citizens in the attack and the ones before the attack is terrible, awful and something that should never have happened the way it did.

While I feel the way I do I find it hard to see how any sort of punishment toward the government will help things.

President Obama said in a PBS NewsHour interview he has no interest in an open conflict with Syria, their actions must have international consequences.

I am wondering how exactly he plans to punish the Syrian government without starting a conflict that could result in war.

Maggie Dunning is a sophomore majoring in communication. You may email her at margaret.dunning@sckans.edu.