By Maggie Collett

There comes a time in everyone’s life when they hear the words, “Did you clean your room?” come out of their mother’s mouth. That is precisely the phrase to keep in mind while packing and moving out at the end of the semester.

Sarah Hallinan, director of residence life, said there is an extensive list of things to do before you can move out. This list includes packing and cleaning, unplugging and defrosting refrigerators, closing and locking windows, shutting blinds, locking doors, taking out trash and recycling, turning the thermostat to low, unlofting and unbunking beds, and making a checkout appointment 24 hours in advance. “I would double check to make sure you have all your belongings,” said Hallinan.

Hallinan said there are three ways to be fined during the move-out process. The first way is improper checkout, which includes things such as not signing up for checkout 24 hours in advance, not signing up at all, or not being prepared at the scheduled time. “So basically you’re not following the rules,” said Hallinan.

Not checking out also results in a fine. Leaving keys in the room or with a roommate qualifies as not checking out and would cost $150.

The third way to be fined is not cleaning. “The expectation is that the room is as clean as when you moved in,” said Hallinan. Not having a broom or a vacuum does not count as a reason to skip cleaning. “Find somebody to borrow from. That’s your responsibility,” said Hallinan.

Jenn Nicholson, Cole Hall residence director, said checking everyone out and making sure they get everything out can be a challenge. “Also, the RA’s form really good bonds so it’s hard to see everyone go home for the summer,” said Nicholson.

Nicholson encourages students to start cleaning early. “A lot of times, [students] get their stuff out and go to check out and their bathroom is a disaster or they won’t clean,” said Nicholson.

Scott Rethorst, computer science junior, has lived in Wallingford, Reid, and Warren apartments. He hasn’t started moving out yet this semester but moved out last year into a house with roommates for the summer. He recalled some mishaps from that previous move out. “I remember packing everything into my small car and having to have it sit in there for a couple days while waiting for someone else to move out of my summer home,” said Rethorst.

The biggest piece of advice Hallinan said, is, “Don’t procrastinate, start packing now and start cleaning now.”

Maggie Collett is a freshman majoring in communication. You may e-mail her at margaret.collett@sckans.edu.