By Alissa Sheppard

Okay, let’s talk fashion. Summer is coming to an end. I know, I know, it sucks to say that we have to put away all of our shorts and tank tops or our cute summer dresses with the matching sandals. But now that the heat is going away and the cool air is coming in, it is important to know what to wear and what not to wear.

I know as college students we are always on the go, trying to make it to class on time, doing homework, going to practice and on campus events. We feel like we do not have time to dress up or do not need to dress up. But have you ever stepped back and took a look at that day you had to present a speech and the teacher said dress up? Remember how it made you feel. You walked around looking your best, all eyes on you. You had your head held high and a great smile on your face.

You should feel that way every day. Since the hot weather is winding down, it is time to pull out some new clothes or add to the clothes you already have. I have some helpful tips for all the men and women on campus who want to know what is in, and inexpensive, for this season.

For the men I have four words, blazers, tee, scarves, and denim. You can never go wrong with this combo. It can easily be dressed up or down. Take a nice pair of fitted jeans, a plain shirt throw a blazer over it and viola, you have an eye catching outfit that you can go to class in and look stylish, yet still feel comfortable. If you want to jazz it up a little more throw a scarf around your neck to add some pizazz to the outfit. For those of you out there who are not as daring, but still want to keep up with the fashions that are in, grab a fitted v-neck shirt, some nice jeans and some loafers. It is a simple but chic outfit that will keep you in style without standing out too much.

Men always hear the words Forever 21 and think it is only for women, but there is 21 Men, the male version of Forever 21. It is a great place to shop and the best part is the prices are low. You can grab a shirt for six dollars and jeans for twenty dollars.

So gentlemen, take a little time in the morning to throw on a nice shirt and your favorite pair of jeans, but be a little daring and throw a blazer over it. See how many reactions you will get.

Now ladies, listen to this. This fall it is all about layers, layers, layers. Just like the men, throw a blazer or a cardigan over your clothes. This summer was all about maxi dresses. If you had a dress that you are just not ready to stop wearing, an easy trick is to throw a boyfriend sweater or a blazer over it. Fedoras are an easy way to spice up an outfit as well. Take a simple white shirt, pair it with some cuffed strait leg jeans, and then throw an eye catching fedora hat on top of your head and some jewelry to match.

Ladies, we all know the ins and outs of shopping. We know when the final clearance sales are and what stores are having bogo, but try shopping online. There are lots of promo codes that can get you great discounts. So when you are browsing your favorite website keep your eyes open for anything that says “enter this code” and you might save more than you think.

Now that you know what is in for this season, take some time in the morning to try something different. Not only will you look good, you will feel good.

Alissa is a senior majoring in communication. You may contact her at alissa.sheppard@sckans.edu