April Middleton, elementary education junior, was named Yearbook Journalist of the Year.

The Collegian student newspaper earned a gold medal in the four-year private college newspaper division competition sponsored by The Kansas Associated Collegiate Press. The 2011 Moundbuilder staff received a bronze medal in the yearbook division.

KACP honored April Middleton, elementary education junior, as Yearbook Journalist of the Year. She was recognized with a plaque and a $250 cash prize during the organization’s spring conference awards presentation April 16 in Salina. Middleton and Jordan Stalder, psychology junior, are co-editors of the 2012 Moundbuilder yearbook. Middleton and Stalder took first in the yearbook theme development category.

Five other students earned eight additional individual awards for work they submitted which has been published in the SCUpdate online media site and in the Collegian student newspaper during the year. Jonathan Woon, communication sophomore, received second place and an honorable mention in news photography for four-year private newspapers. Erica Dunigan, communication senior, took third place honors in both feature and review writing. Clinton Dick, communication junior earned honorable mentions in editorial writing and sports photography.

Carly Budd, elementary education senior, earned an honorable mention in newspaper feature photography. Paige Carswell, class of 2012, took first place in sports column writing.

Five students from Southwestern College joined nearly 200 student journalists from 20 colleges and universities at the Ramada Conference Center in Salina April 15 and 16 for the annual two-day conference.
Dalton Carver, communication freshman, Angel Vadillo, communication freshman, Katie Vorderstrasse, communication freshman, Dunigan and Woon were accompanied by Stacy Sparks, associate professor of journalism. Sparks serves on the executive board as secretary of KACP.

The conference included sessions led by Larry Hatteberg, KAKE News, Clarke Sanders of the Salina Media Group, state senator Terry Bruce of Hutchinson and Ben Wearing and Tim Unruh of The Salina Journal. The students also attended sessions on careers, public relations, sales and using social media.