Photo by Allyssa Zentner / Collegian photographer

Brae Wood, AmeriCorp Leadership VISTA, Dallas Leonard, class of 2009, Sally McGuire, undecided freshman, Lindsey Webb, biology freshman, Julie Wilke, AmeriCorp VISTA, and Hannah Podschun, English freshman, pose with the trash the Leadership team collected April 17 during Sweep Winfield Day. The Leadership team collected 165 lbs of trash. Overall 1,125 lbs of trash was collected among participating campus organizations. Another clean-up project is being planned by the Leadership 101 class, which will allow students to donate unneeded end-of-the-year belongings, rather than throw them out." Photo by Allyssa Zentner / Collegian photographer

Molly Komlofske wants to find a home for stray sweaters and mini fridges. As a project for Leadership 101, Komlofske and five other members on her team are asking students to save unneeded belongings for those who need them, rather than making donations to the nearest dumpster.

“The purpose of our project is to save things that might otherwise be thrown out,” said Komlofske, philosophy & religious studies sophomore. “My Leadership group talked to Sara Weinert, she was kind of the heart of this project. She pointed out how students threw so many good things out at the end of the year, and how it might be a good idea to collect the items that can help people.”

Sara Weinert, vice president for communication, said she’s not really the heart of the project, because all she did was mention something.

“Leadership took it and ran with it,” said Weinert. “They have done all the work.”

Weinert said that in past years students have thrown many belongings out at the end of the year because they want to get rid of it and cannot fit everything into their cars. After mentioning the situation to the Leadership 101 team, they took it upon themselves to address the issue.

“Our idea basically is to put drop boxes in the residential halls two weeks before school is out,” said Komlofske. “We are going to have the drop boxes out to have people put clothes, in good condition, in for donations and also non-perishable food that has not been opened.”

Komlofske said that the team is also working with Martin Rude, director of outreach ministries, and Worship Outreach to collect bigger items such as, mini-fridges, microwaves, printers and other electronic items. Collected items will be taken to an Indian preservation in Ponca City, Okla.

“Worship Outreach had the same idea in mind,” said Komlofske. “When we found out that they were doing it as well, we thought we could partner up with them.”

Komlofske said a trailer for larger items will be located on campus where students can drop off donations. The location of the trailer has not been decided. Drop off boxes in the dormitories will be located near the halls’ recycling bins.

“I think it’s a good idea,” said Cristian Mendoza, computer science freshman, a fellow team member on Komlofske’s leadership team. “People always throw away all their stuff, so why not donate it to people who need it more?”

Komlofske requests that students take the few minutes to look through clothes and food to see if there is anything to give away rather than throw away.

“Make sure items are in good condition,” said Komlofske. “Don’t just throw your sweaty t-shirt in it and hope someone else will want it.”

Weinert said it’s good to talk about being green for recruitment reasons, but even better when the projects are actually completed.

“I’m hoping other students participate, that’s what it will take to be a success,” said Weinert.